Re: Teaching Textual Criticism

  • Carlton L. Winbery
    Message 1 of 1714 , Sep 27, 1996
      I think the original post on this subject asked about including a short
      section on NT TC in a Greek course. I think that this should come late in
      the course when students are getting to read NT texts more easily. I would
      then have them read pp. 15-84 of Jack Finegan, Encountering NT MSS (if out
      of print, get permission to make copies). And then I would have them make
      their own critical edition of John 1:1-14 from P66 (page 114), P75 (page
      119), Vaticanus (page 129), Sinaiticus (page 135), Bezae (page 143),
      Washingtonensis (page 147), Alexandrinus (page 152), and 666 (pages
      156-157). They can use as a base text whatever text you have them read
      from for the class. A better way may be to make them colate against hH
      KAINH DIAQHKA from the BIBLIKH hETAIREIA at hODOS FILELLHNWN 2A AQHNAI.
      This would give them hands on experience and a feel for the science of TC.
      They can form their own theories of transmission and history later when
      they can study related subjects.

      Carlton L. Winbery
      Prof. NT & Greek La College
      winberyc@...