7593tc-list UBS4 John 4:1

  • Harold P. Scanlin
    Dec 3, 1999
      Pete Williams called attention to the following typo:

      > Is the lower case phi in Pharisees in UBS4 of John 4:1 a typo?

      Yes. I will forward this note to the German Bible Society. Any other
      likely typos spot can be forwarded directly to them.

      > I have been concerned about the typographical accuracy of UBS4 (e.g.
      heading
      > p. 156,

      This one still needs correcting: Read is for ist.

      > and verse number on John 1:25).

      So does this: Read 25 for 5

      > Can anyone tell me about the
      > typographical process of the production of UBS4?

      As Pete observes, the text of UBS4 is intended to be identical to
      UBS3(Corrected). Here's a bit of the background.

      All editions through UBS3 (Corrected) utilized the same plates produced
      from a specially commissioned typeface, called Porson. The differences
      between 3 and 3(Corr) dealt primarily with changing the punctuation to
      conform generally, but not totally, with the punctuation used in NA26.
      According to Kurt Aland, the punctuation system in NA26 reflected ancient
      punctuation style. GNT1-3 used what could be described as following modern
      (American) English punctuation usage. The discussion of how we know the
      principles of ancient Greek punctuation and whether a "modern" system is
      more useful, especially for students and translators, is another matter.
      This little history just explains how we got to where we are today.

      When GNT4 thoroughly reworked the apparatus it became necessary to reset
      the entire volume. Using the hot metal type system from the Porson days
      was no longer possible, so the entire book was electronically typeset. It
      seems to be inevitable, if regrettable, that a typesetting venture of this
      complexity introduces typographical errors. The switch to a new system of
      typesetting also explains why the font looks quite different, a change that
      many people have lamented. GNT4 has now gone through three printings
      (1993, 1994, 1998) and a number of typos have been eliminated. There are
      more to be corrected, including those noted by Pete Williams.

      The Bible Societies are grateful to all the careful readers who report
      typographical errors.

      Harold P. Scanlin
      Consultant on Scholarly Editions
      United Bible Societies