4295Re: tc-list Hanson's Catalogue of NT Papyri & Codices

    Aug 3, 1998
      On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, "Mark Goodacre" <M.S.Goodacre@...> wrote:

      >K. C. Hanson has set up a "Catalogue of New Testament Papyri & Codices 2nd -
      >10th Centuries". It looks good and has links to other resources. It can be
      >found at:

      People should be warned, though, that it takes *forever* to load. You
      can tell the site owner is an academic with unlimited connect time. It
      really should have been broken up into smaller units. Also, the "Aleph"
      symbol is wrong (that one is an HTML glitch, and may not occur on
      your particular machine) -- if you see an "is not a subset" symbol,
      that's supposed to be an Aleph.

      The part that bugged me the most, though, was the way the papyri were
      classified. I would regard this as completely untrustworthy (P47
      agrees with A and C more than Aleph?).

      This is not to say that it is not a nice site. It *is* a good
      catalog, and being on the web, it can be kept more current
      than the KListe or the NA editions. I also like the other ancient
      documents it provides access to.

      But take those textual classifications with a grain of salt.
      Or six....