3876Re: tc-list Job 4:11 LXX

  • Burkenstock
    Apr 1, 1998
      I asked my fellow Hellenists on the Koine Greek mailing list and they had
      two good answers. They are as follows:

      There is more about this in the revised supplement of LSJ. Cf. also LSJ
      s.v.
      MYRMHX II. It appears there that MYRMHX was used not only in the sense
      'ant' but
      also referring to a fabulous animal of India. LSJ refers to Herodotus
      3.102,
      Strabo 2.1.9 (gold-digging MYRMHKES), 16.4.15 (lions called MYRMHKES)
      etc. The
      Job passage was given a number of allegorical interpretations by
      Christian
      writers (Didymus Caecus, John Chrysostom, Photius; cf. TLG), but the
      translator
      of Job is likely to have had the same concept as Herodotus and Strabo in
      his
      mind.

      Best wishes

      Jerker Blomqvist, professor of Greek language and literature, Lund
      University

      AND this one...

      Howere, after recalling where I have read on this animal, I consulted
      _Physiologus_ (there
      are many versions and recensions, I consulted a critical edition of one
      Slavonic version, where
      comparison with Greek, Armenian and Ethiopian recensions is given). So,
      now
      I know well
      that MYRMHKOLEWN is an animal having the face part of body of his father
      lion, and another
      part from his mother ant. He perished (Job 4:9) because, having such
      parents, he was neither
      predatory nor herbivorous.

      NB. The stuff of _Physiologus_ may taken as going back to IVth century,
      but
      some or many
      motifs may be much more earlier. A Jewish-Christian background of this
      book
      was already
      noted. So, it can reflect the same tradition as Job LXX.

      So, it is important to know, was the MYRMHX of India herbivorous or not?

      Basil Lourie

      St.Petersburg Society for
      Byzantine and Slavic Studies

      So I hope that helps the discussion on the mysterious "ant-lion" of Job.

      See ya,
      Burke Gerstenschlager

      --
      "I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use - silence, exile, and cunning.
      - Stephen Dedalus _A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man_