First time taxonomist

  • R Kemp
    Message 1 of 3 , May 17, 2012
      Hi folks!

      I recently started my first-ever position as a taxonomist and I’m trying to figure out how to re-position myself for what I think just might be my new career path.

      I graduated from library school in 2010 having taken every class for my chosen emphasis in cataloging. Among other classes, I took advanced cataloging, metadata and vocabulary control. Although I had been a copy cataloger for years, I didn’t have enough experience to get a job as a librarian-level cataloger. When a position for a taxonomist was advertised in a large ecommerce company, I applied and got the job.

      I am looking for advice. What should my next steps be?
      ·         Are any certifications especially valuable?
      ·         What organizations are best for taxonomists?
      ·         What classes would be most useful?  Subjects?  Programming languages?
      ·         How do I find out what the pay scales are for taxonomists?

      Thanks!
      Rebecca

    • Jovia Ambrose
      Message 2 of 3 , May 18, 2012

        You can research wages for national and state, job openings, and job forecast . At this fantastic site.

        http://www.careerinfonet.org/

[...]

      • Alice Redmond-Neal
        Message 3 of 3 , May 18, 2012
          Hi, Rebecca,

          Welcome to the gang! Congratulations on your new job. It sounds wonderful and exciting, and you must have impressed them favorably!

          I won't try to answer all your questions, but I would recommend SLA's Taxonomy Division. It's a young division but has attracted a very strong group of active taxonomists. Taxonomy Boot Camp conference is a must. Taxonomy work hasn't gotten to the point of required certifications. As for further education, I personally would explore information architecture skills, which relate closely and support the need and development of taxonomies. You didn't specify, but assume you've taken whatever taxonomy classes have been available, with practice opportunities. As for workshops, there is usually one given at SLA and ASI, and Heather Hedden gives an online course through Simmons.

          best luck on the job and career!
          alice

          Alice Redmond-Neal