raccoon full mount-skinning out

  • bowhunter_oh25
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 14, 2002
      Hi!! Looks like a great club. I am real new to taxidermy, in fact
      just now doing my first deer head. I was wondering if someone could
      help me though. I have a raccoon coming tommorrow and need to get it
      skinned out for a full mount, (probably lying on a log) and need to
      know how to skin it out for the mount(where to make the incision and
      how long, and what to do with the feet when I get to them.) I have a
      video coming, but they said it would be a couple of weeks, and I was
      hoping to have it skinned out by then, so I can get busy mounting
      it. Thanks for the help!!
      Rick
    • laughlinb87
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 14, 2002
        Hi Rick,
        For amount laying on a log i would skin it ventral. cut from the
        chest between the shoulders and cut straight down the belly to the
        anus and stop. then free the hind legs by tubing them out to the
        ankle then cut the bone off at the joint. Now to the tail. split it
        down the underside and skin it out.now skin it up to the front feet
        and do them like the back ones, and when you are finished tube
        yourself up the the head, and skin it like you would skin a deer
        (without the incision)until it is completly free. now go back and
        split the feet down the underside just enough to remove the meat you
        left in the feet and remove the meat up to the last joint of the toe
        and clip the bone off. now just flesh and tan it like normal.
        -Brandon
        --- In taxidermyclub@y..., "bowhunter_oh25" <bowhunter_oh25@y...>