Re: snake skin

  • rattlor1
    Message 1 of 79 , Dec 26, 2000
      Hi. Even though I'm not a seasoned professional,
      I have delt with snake skins a few times. As far as
      the head goes, I cannot give any advice. I would
      recommend drying the skin in the usual way, by tacking it
      down (after skinning and scraping), inside out and
      allowing it to sun-dry. After it is completely dry and
      crisp, you can soak the skin in antifreeze for roughly a
      week, remove it and allow it to dry once more. The
      antifreeze will soften the skin and give it the texture of
      cloth. I have heard some people say that this will cause
      discoloration of the skin. I have never had this problem.
      Perhaps they do not sun-dry the skin first? I dunno. I
      have also heard that repeated applications of skin
      softener (glycerin based) to the tacted skin will achieve
      the same goal. However, this is untested by myself or
      anyone I know, so I cannot verify it. I hope this helps
      some.
    • jl270wby
      Message 79 of 79 , May 21, 2002
        I found this a while ago but I just saw your post. This is from
        another board.

        To remove skunk smell
        1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
        1/4 cup baking soda