New to taxidermy

  • RoyalOaksRanch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31 8:15 AM
      I have wanted to do taxidermy for many years but have just started getting
      things together here recently to start. I have order several books and a field
      kit. But to be honest I havent a clue what the tools are supposed to be used
      for. Im assuming its to cape out the deer or whaetver in the field to
      prepare for tanning/mounting
      Does anyone here know of a good course either in person in California or
      online ? Also could you recommend any sites for learning more about taxidermy?
      Seems there isnt much out there least that I can find that doesn't require
      buying a video or a book. There must be a site that might explain what tools are
      needed and such.....Van Dykes is one site I did find but it gives no
      explaination for what each tool is used for or why I would want one kit over
      another. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have some time to gather what I
      need, as we are building the loft to be my work space. It is big, its approx 20
      wide by 20 deep and will be temperature controlled. Any ideas or thoughts on
      what I should include in my work area? I already have several freezers, and
      I am looking into a tanner, do I need a flesher or is it easy enough to do by
      hand to not warrant the expense?
      My main interest is mule deer, elk, and birds. Mainly the birds is a
      personal thing. I raise rare and heritage breeds and I plan on mounting some of my
      roosters.
      I am starting out with birds because I heard it was the easiest to start
      with and because I have a pretty much endless supply of birds.
      A list of where to get supplies would be appreciated as well :)
      Thanks
      Rae

      Royal Oaks Ranch
      Rare and Heritage Poultry
      _www.royaloaksranch.com_ (http://www.royaloaksranch.com/)

      If you like to swap eggs join the original one and only true
      Poultry Egg Swappers group!
      Over 700 members!
      _PoultryEggSwappers : PoultryEggSwappers_
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PoultryEggSwappers/)

      And this is the buy/sell/trade section of PES-Everyone is welcome to join
      _PoultrySwapNSell : Poultry SwapNSell_
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PoultrySwapNSell/)

      _Help Stop the USDA from Taking Away Our Livestock and Our Pets Petition_
      (http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/369063795)

    • diet_girl2005
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 17, 2006
        --- In taxidermyclub@yahoogroups.com, RoyalOaksRanch@... wrote:

        > I have wanted to do taxidermy for many years but have just started
        getting
        > things together here recently to start. I have order several books
        and a field
        > kit. But to be honest I havent a clue what the tools are supposed
        to be used
        > for. Im assuming its to cape out the deer or whaetver in the field
        > prepare for tanning/mounting
        > Does anyone here know of a good course either in person in
        California or
        > online ? Also could you recommend any sites for learning more
        about taxidermy?
        > Seems there isnt much out there least that I can find that
        doesn't require
        > buying a video or a book. There must be a site that might explain
        what tools are
        > needed and such.....Van Dykes is one site I did find but it gives
        no
        > explaination for what each tool is used for or why I would want
        one kit over
        > another. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have some time
        to gather what I
        > need, as we are building the loft to be my work space. It is big,
        its approx 20
        > wide by 20 deep and will be temperature controlled. Any ideas or
        thoughts on
        > what I should include in my work area? I already have several
        freezers, and
        > I am looking into a tanner, do I need a flesher or is it easy
        enough to do by
        > hand to not warrant the expense?
        > My main interest is mule deer, elk, and birds. Mainly the birds
        is a
        > personal thing. I raise rare and heritage breeds and I plan on
        mounting some of my
        > roosters.
        > I am starting out with birds because I heard it was the easiest
        to start
        > with and because I have a pretty much endless supply of birds.
        > A list of where to get supplies would be appreciated as well :)
        > Thanks
        > Rae
        > Rae, Go to taxidermy.com. There is plenty of information for you.
        Hope this helps.

        > Royal Oaks Ranch
        > Rare and Heritage Poultry
        > _www.royaloaksranch.com_ (http://www.royaloaksranch.com/)
        >
        > If you like to swap eggs join the original one and only true
        > Poultry Egg Swappers group!
        > Over 700 members!
        > _PoultryEggSwappers : PoultryEggSwappers_
        > (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PoultryEggSwappers/)
        >
        > And this is the buy/sell/trade section of PES-Everyone is welcome
        to join
        > _PoultrySwapNSell : Poultry SwapNSell_
        > (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PoultrySwapNSell/)
        >
        > _Help Stop the USDA from Taking Away Our Livestock and Our Pets
        Petition_
        > (http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/369063795)

      • Rae
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 24, 2006
          IM already on that one LOL was hoping to find more places..