Re: [Taxidermy Club] question:can skins go bad after tanning?

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3 6:38 PM
      so in the future if i cant finish up the tanning process and have to
      leave the skins make sure the solution they are in is "basic" after
      tanning, or "acidic" before the tanning process ??

      --- In taxidermyclub@yahoogroups.com, Joe Dipko <taxidude16510@...> wrote:

      > Steve <strange_steve@...> wrote: Ok im kinda new at this was
      tanning some rabbits - i used to use
      > lutanf - but hear great thing about EZ tan - that you can gently wash
      > the hides without them going bad or falling apart (not in a machine
      > but by hand) - anyhow so now im using EZ tan -- and luckily it was
      > just a few rabbit pelts but - skinned em real good, saftee acid,
      > tanned for about 12 hours took em out of the tanning solution late
      > sunday night - about 9 or 10 - and instead of just rinsing them off
      > and setting them out to dry, i put some fresh water in a bucket and
      > let them sit in there (as i didnt want the cat to get to them) -- well
      > I couldnt get to them untill tonight - lot of work and other stuff
      > going on - and i pull them out and notice the hair is slipping -- !!!
      > I thought the whole purpose of this better tanning agent was to allow
      > them to get wet afterwards -- can anyone comment - the error is mine
      > - should have waited till i had more time - but feel i got stiffed
      > witht the ez tan stuff -- can anyone else provide comparison data - or
      > perhaps explain why this happened?
      >

      > Yes, skins can go bad after tanning.The "leather" never dried
      around the hair, and while it soaked bacteria very well could have
      built up...so the hair slips.The "washable" claim seems a little over
      edge to me, but rehydrating a skin for mounting doesn't normally cause
      a problem. The tanning solution had a low enough PH to keep out the
      bacteria, but not the plain water. Or if you didn't properly
      neutralize the acid, acid swell could have occurred.Hope it helps...

      > Taxidermy Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby

      Service.