Re: [Taxidermy Club] question:can skins go bad after tanning?

  • Joe Dipko
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
      Steve <strange_steve@...> wrote: Ok im kinda new at this was tanning some rabbits - i used to use
      lutanf - but hear great thing about EZ tan - that you can gently wash
      the hides without them going bad or falling apart (not in a machine
      but by hand) - anyhow so now im using EZ tan -- and luckily it was
      just a few rabbit pelts but - skinned em real good, saftee acid,
      tanned for about 12 hours took em out of the tanning solution late
      sunday night - about 9 or 10 - and instead of just rinsing them off
      and setting them out to dry, i put some fresh water in a bucket and
      let them sit in there (as i didnt want the cat to get to them) -- well
      I couldnt get to them untill tonight - lot of work and other stuff
      going on - and i pull them out and notice the hair is slipping -- !!!
      I thought the whole purpose of this better tanning agent was to allow
      them to get wet afterwards -- can anyone comment - the error is mine
      - should have waited till i had more time - but feel i got stiffed
      witht the ez tan stuff -- can anyone else provide comparison data - or
      perhaps explain why this happened?

      Yes, skins can go bad after tanning.The "leather" never dried around the hair, and while it soaked bacteria very well could have built up...so the hair slips.The "washable" claim seems a little over edge to me, but rehydrating a skin for mounting doesn't normally cause a problem. The tanning solution had a low enough PH to keep out the bacteria, but not the plain water. Or if you didn't properly neutralize the acid, acid swell could have occurred.Hope it helps...

      Taxidermy Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby

      ---------------------------------

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2006
        so in the future if i cant finish up the tanning process and have to
        leave the skins make sure the solution they are in is "basic" after
        tanning, or "acidic" before the tanning process ??

        --- In taxidermyclub@yahoogroups.com, Joe Dipko <taxidude16510@...> wrote:

        > Steve <strange_steve@...> wrote: Ok im kinda new at this was
        tanning some rabbits - i used to use
        > lutanf - but hear great thing about EZ tan - that you can gently wash
        > the hides without them going bad or falling apart (not in a machine
        > but by hand) - anyhow so now im using EZ tan -- and luckily it was
        > just a few rabbit pelts but - skinned em real good, saftee acid,
        > tanned for about 12 hours took em out of the tanning solution late
        > sunday night - about 9 or 10 - and instead of just rinsing them off
        > and setting them out to dry, i put some fresh water in a bucket and
        > let them sit in there (as i didnt want the cat to get to them) -- well
        > I couldnt get to them untill tonight - lot of work and other stuff
        > going on - and i pull them out and notice the hair is slipping -- !!!
        > I thought the whole purpose of this better tanning agent was to allow
        > them to get wet afterwards -- can anyone comment - the error is mine
        > - should have waited till i had more time - but feel i got stiffed
        > witht the ez tan stuff -- can anyone else provide comparison data - or
        > perhaps explain why this happened?
        >

        > Yes, skins can go bad after tanning.The "leather" never dried
        around the hair, and while it soaked bacteria very well could have
        built up...so the hair slips.The "washable" claim seems a little over
        edge to me, but rehydrating a skin for mounting doesn't normally cause
        a problem. The tanning solution had a low enough PH to keep out the
        bacteria, but not the plain water. Or if you didn't properly
        neutralize the acid, acid swell could have occurred.Hope it helps...

        > Taxidermy Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby

        Service.