Re: [Taxidermy Club] New guy

  • Paulette Tumara
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2003
      Well hello Ric,

      Sounds like we have a lot in common...well I'm exaggerating just a bit. Last year I only did a few throw off hides (braintanned), this year I got 51 hides so far in a barrel, YES! Not all of them were huge and unscored but there's plenty of 'good' ones. It was really unexpected...well I really didn't know what to expect. The lodge got them going I'm sure seein as it's MI and not too many lodges for one and then it took up most of my front yard and blocked a quarter of my house. So yeah my house and my blue barrel with hides, heads and legs on it gathered quite some attention. I'm sure the neighbors all think I've lost it. I've got 5 kids and a flock of sheep so we kind of stand out. Anyway I've come here just recently with a little ermine. Thanks to Clinton I'm a going to try makin a mold hopefully in the morning. The skin braintanned really nicely after a pickle overnight in the ascorbic acid, salt and water. I really don't have too much of a clue what I'm doing on this little critter so I'm just roughing it. The ermine was a female so smaller than the forms already out there to cover. Still debating whether to shape it's body with the wire standing or walking. It's got plenty of little holes on the belly so maybe crawling would be better. I forgot all about getting the eyes and will mostly likely have to wait till Monday to hopefully procure some from a local taxidermist. I really don't have a clue about how to go about putting them in either:-) I suppose if it's a little stiff around it's eyes I can 'damp back' with a wash rag held to it for awhile???

      Oh yeah...;) Ric, tell me you don't buck all your deer hides? I really hate bucking and have found the controlled rot with fresh water changes twice a day to work great or fresh graining off the deer. I naturally started falling behind so I have, hair on dried, hair and grained and fleshed hides in the rawhide state and fresh fleshed frozen in the deep freeze. well anyway I learned the importance of prestretching and braining more than once. So I can't wait to get a bunch of hides finished this summer.

      I just got done braintanning a coyote hide and wonder if I can do some rugs or heads on the wall, mantles are they? Maybe I could just buy the mouths and eyeballs and make the heads or bodies myself. Sorry for all the nonstop chatter!

      paulette
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 10, 2003
        Hey Ric,

        What are you most interested in learning to do with taxidermy?

        My ermine mold is coming along after 2 attempts. I think the third one might just stick together. The spray foam takes a little getting accustomed to. Hmmn well the back half of the mold came out easy but still feels kind of damp yet so maybe overnight in the mold and it'll be ok to remove. I ended up using crisco for the lubricant. My ermine appears to be missing one forearm now. Kids and pets...Will have to figure something out to hide the flaw now. Have to mount it on a limb with a little branch in the way or something.

        I'm hoping to do yote heads or rugs with them in the future. I haven't really seen any full size yotes I've liked yet to be impressed enough to want to do one like it.

        Paulette