Re: [Taxidermy Club] Intro and question about do it yourself forms

  • clinton wolford
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
      Paulette

      You need to take a pan that the body of the animal would fit in . After you have chosen your pan you need plaster of paris. You need enough to do two castings. Take the body of the animal and position it the way you want your mount to be. Use wires to do this. Run wires down the legs etc. Then take a fish hook that has some line threaded through it and attach it to the side of the animal opisite of casting side. Preforably in the midsection. It might make you more comfortable to hook the back sholder and the front. Now mix the plaster and poor it in the pan. Grab ahold of the string attached to the hooks and drop the animal half way in the plaster. Hold until plaster sets up. After set up pull animal out and you will have a half mold. Now repeat the process for the other half of the animal. After you are done you will have two molds each of one side of the body. You should be able to place these molds together and make a whole one. When you are able to do this, "it
      may take a little sanding of the paris", take your spray on foam insilation and spray one half of the mold and place the two pieces togetehr quickly. The foam will expand and fill the cavity, Hold the two pieces together for about 20 min. and then remove the molds. ALSO i forgot to mention spray the inside of the molds with some kind of lube so the foam wont stick to the paris. After you pull away the mold you should have a nice body. It may take just a little sanding.

      hope this helps
      Clinton Wolford

      ptumara <ptumara@...> wrote:
      Hi, my name's Paulette and I'm a stay at home mom to six. Took up
      braintanning deer hides last year, have also tanned quite a few yotes
      and a beaver, muskrat, have some possum in the freezer and am in the
      process of makin lots more buckskin.
      Got my first ermine yesterday. It's a short tailed weasel and after
      tanning was hoping to stuff this little critter somehow. I was really
      happy with the skinning. Actually has all it's parts;) Looks to be
      smaller than the average sized forms. Must be a young one. I really
      didn't want to put any $ into it. It'll be for a friend. I'll have to
      charge him but not sure what. Stuffed ones can be a little pricey but
      he's a hunter and trapper so I'll take it out in trade;). Had the
      idea of spray insulation foam.lol but fraid it could burst the
      critter open or may not fill the front case legs or something. I
      don't have a clue how to go about making my own form. I've saved it's
      body in a bag in the freezer and am planning to pickle the skin later
      today. I rinsed it off and used a glug of peroxide to get rid of any
      blood staining on its white fur. Can anyone here give me any clues?
      I'd appreciate any ideas. thanks, glad to see an active taxidermy
      list. Paulette in Mid Michigan

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Paulette Tumara
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
        Clinton,

        Thank you, sounds awesome. I can't wait to try this.

        I got so busy while I was out today I forgot to get some battery acid, hmmn.

        I did pick up a mountain man Crafts and Skills book by David Montgomery. Pretty fascinating book. Getting all kinds of ideas. h

        Just found out how nice leaving a hide soak in icewater is to remove the hair and grain on. Lazily left a hide that'd dried with the flesh on. fleshed great with a draw knife and grains good with a decent weight fleshing knife! I don't know if any of ya'll know much of braintanning but bucking hides really sucks. So I don't buck then if at all possible.

        Gotta go feed my sheep:o it's like freezing out there.

        One more question if you please? Am I supposed to cut this weazel open and then sew it back together? He- he, nothing like a stupid question. I hope the plaster of paris is cheap. I'll end up trying to make raccoon and coyotes heads then I'll end up goin to muskrats and shee's it's hard tellin?!

          ptumara <ptumara@...> wrote:
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Paulette Tumara
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2003
            Oh Oh Clinton my gosh, yes you helped a lot! No I was referring to the skin itself when you go to cover the mold:) sorry! I understood your instructions perfectly. Thank you so much. Really excited about this little critter. I hear they can be quite feisty animals. I think their skull alone makes em look like a miniature tyrannosourus rex. Hope to find some of these things I need to begin today.

            Paulette

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2003
                Clinton,
                Have some affairs taking my mind offa what I wanna be doing! so forgot acid for pickling hide! duh! Hey can you tell me why critters should be frozen in paper rather than plastic?
                I did manage to get one thing and that was the plaster. Just happened to have a friend call me 35 miles away from Menards building center. Hey I saved myself 4 dollars on the plaster alone! Shoulda asked him to look at the spray foam too, he he!
                I'll probably save 3 dollars a can by getting it in the city. We live in the boonies where everything like that is 3 to 4 dollars more. And they wonder why the economy is bad. It's a real rat race out there! I guess that's why all this stuff is so profitable. Everybody wants something different. Conversational pieces. fur hats, you name it, if it's out of the ordinary it's of value.
                well thanks again Clinton. God knows how long it would've taken me to learn this on my own.

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 7, 2003
                  clinton said> Now mix the plaster and poor it in the pan. Grab ahold of the string attached to the hooks and drop the animal half way in the plaster. Hold until plaster sets up.
                  Clinton, one quick question, well... maybe, two! would you mix equal amts of plaster and water? Duh, experiment eh? Ok I think I can get it! You do, do the front half and then the back right?? ah gotta be! well at least I have plenty of all the ingredients now! Hope an icecream bucket'll work, I gotta find that wire! I don't know as where those fish hooks are! I do have some nice strong linen thread and needles and a good thimble...this could potentially get real addicting. I'm afraid once I start I'll be making molds of everything,lol.
                  Paulette