Newbie with a question

  • Rebecca Corvinwulf
    Message 1 of 2 , May 18, 2003
      Hiya :)

      I picked up a couple of salted coyote hides to work with. I live in an
      apartment with no yard, so any sort of tanning involving smoke is out
      (even tho I want to try brain tanning some day). I've been looking
      around the net for info on tanning and the salt and alum method seems
      to be my best bet; though I've also seen some commercial tanning
      solutions--what expeirence have folks had with either or these methods?

      Also, I am a crafter, and am *always* looking for scrap hides, bones,
      antlers, skulls, teeth, claws and other goodies in just about any
      condition for craft use, buy or barter.

      Thanks :)

      Rebecca
    • thomas
      Message 2 of 2 , May 25, 2003
        --- In taxidermyclub@yahoogroups.com, "Rebecca Corvinwulf"
        <asunwolf@h...> wrote:
        > Hiya :)
        >
        > I picked up a couple of salted coyote hides to work with. I live in
        an
        > apartment with no yard, so any sort of tanning involving smoke is
        out
        > (even tho I want to try brain tanning some day). I've been looking
        > around the net for info on tanning and the salt and alum method
        seems
        > to be my best bet; though I've also seen some commercial tanning
        > solutions--what expeirence have folks had with either or these
        methods?

        > Also, I am a crafter, and am *always* looking for scrap hides,
        bones,
        > antlers, skulls, teeth, claws and other goodies in just about any
        > condition for craft use, buy or barter.
        >
        > Thanks :)

        Rebecca

        HI REBECCA

        maybe i can be a little help ihave been doing taxidermy work for
        more years than i like to think about and if you are pushed for room
        and are going to work out of your house the best tan for you is the
        lutan-f,simple .without much if any odoryou can get a kit from
        VAN-DYKES with every thing you will need except the plain salt
        which is easy to getat the grocery store this is a good tanand
        producesalite colored skin it is the main tan i use if you need any
        help postareply or email me