Re: [taxidermy] Introduce myself (again!)

  • CDTaxidermy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 19, 2001
      In a message dated 9/5/01 10:23:50 PM Pacific Daylight Time, MGSpikers@... writes:

      Well, perhaps since there are a few more posts to this list, I may be able to
      ask the question I have asked several times, but have never received a
      response.  I have been a member of this list for a year now and no one has
      answered my basic question yet.  This question is:  Is there an ethical code
      for taxidermists concerning the animals that they mount?  In other words, is
      there any concern about the animal involved?  I am not asking this question
      for animals already deceased, but rather regarding animals that may be killed
      solely to be mounted.  This question has arisen regarding small animals that
      may be killed solely to be subjects of taxidermy.

         Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear, Director of Forensic Health Science
      Programs and Associate Professor, Beth-El College of Nursing and Health
      Sciences, University of Colorado (Note:  I also teach the ethics course
      here).

      I am concerns for the little critters that are killed solely for the purpose of taxidermy work. I got most all of my mounts off the road when I started.  Also critters that farmers killed that were after their chickens etc.
      Katie
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 19, 2001
        Been busy moving so I haven't monitered the list for a while. The
        only ethical code in taxidermy would be your own code of ethics. It
        is not uncommon for animals, birds, and reptiles to be killed for
        mounting, ie: pheasants and other assorted birds, snakes, ground
        squirrels, etc. My code of ethics is directed to how the animal is
        killed. I have been a long time hunter and also raise livestock and
        fowl for food and always believed in making the kill quick and as
        painless as possible.

        Hope this answers your question. It is just my opinion though, so
        others may have different ideas on the subject.

        Carol
        doggone@...