Re: [taxidermy] HI Ivan

  • garrie@cox-internet.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 18, 2001
      >GARRIE, I DONT KNOW WHEN THEY WENT OUT OF BUISNESS. I LIVE IN UTAH AND HUNT
      >ALL OVER THE WESTERN STATES. I HAVE ENJOYED MY SKILLS OVER THE YEARS WETHERĀ
      >MOUNTING SPECIMENS FOR MYSELF OR FRIENDS. EVEN THOUGHT OF OPENING MY OWN
      >SHOP. I DONT KNOW IF I WOULD ENJOY IT AS MUCH IF I HAD TO DO IT FOR A LIVING.
      >WHAT ANIMALS AND BIRDS HAVE YOU MOUNTED? ARE YOU A HOBBIEST OR A PRO?

      I started Taxidermy in high school and practiced for many years even
      through college. But then I have not practiced for a long time.
      Still have many of the birds I first did and a few mammals as well.
      I enjoy taxidermy only as an observer now but its still something I
      treasure from my past. My taxidermy teacher who is now in his 80's I
      visit often to see his huge collection and reminisce about certain
      birds that he has.

      Perhaps my greatest joy in recent years is that I was able to
      purchase a mounted specimen of a Passenger Pigeon, a bird I always
      was fascinated about.
      --
      Garrie
    • FACKRELLIVAN@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 18, 2001
        I ENVY YOUR ADDITION OF A PASSENGER PIGEON TO YOUR COLLECTION. I HAVE NEVER
        SEEN ONE. I HAVE A MALLARD DUCK, PINTAIL, REDHEAD, BUFFLE HEAD, RUDDYDUCK.
        ONE PHESANT, TWO MULE DEER BUCK SHOLDER MOUNTS, ONE SHIRAS BULL MOOSE SHOLDER
        MOUNT, ONE BUCK ANTELOPE. ONE BULL ELK, LIFE SIZE BADGER, COYOTE, GRAY FOX,
        AND SEVERAL FISH. I TOOK ALL FAIR CHASE HUNTS AND MOUNTED THEM MYSELF, I HAVE
        ALSO MOUNTED MANY BIRDS, FISH, AND MAMMELS FOR FRIENDS. ILL NEVER GET RICH
        DOING THIS BECAUSE I ONLY CHARGE THEM THE COST OF THE SUPPLIES. WHY DO YOU NO
        LONGER DO TAXIDERMY? I FIND IT VERY ENJOYABLE. LOOKING FOREWARD TO HEARING
        FROM YOU AGAIN.....................................IVAN
      • CDTaxidermy@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5 8:04 AM
          In a message dated 8/16/01 11:34:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          FACKRELLIVAN@... writes:

          HI ALL. JUST JOINED THE GROUP, I HAVE BEEN DOING MY OWN TAXIDERMY
          WORK AND ALOT FOR FRIENDS SINCE I WAS 15, 41 YEARS AGO. NEVER THOUGHT
          ABOUT LOOKING FOR A CLUB OF LIKE MINDED PEOPLE UNTIL NOW. I LEARNED
          ALL THOSE YEARS AGO FROM THE NORTHWESTERN SCHOOL OF TAXIDERMY IN
          OMAHA NEBRASKA. NOW HAVE 41 YEARS OF PRACTICE AND EXPERIANCE TO
          SHARE. I WILL CHECK HERE EVERY COUPLE OF DAYS OR YOU CAN E-MAIL IF
          THERE IS ANY THING I CAN HELP YOU WITH. LOOKING FORWARD TO TALKING
          WITH YOU ALL.................IVAN.

          Hey.. I taught myself how to do taxidermy work a few years back and have been
          doing it for family and friends also. I have a long way to go. I have been
          having a problem with open mouthed critters. I cant get it all smooth and
          right looking. Any hints?
        • CDTaxidermy@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 5 8:05 AM
            In a message dated 8/16/01 11:45:50 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            garrie@... writes:

            Hello Ivan

            the group is not very active, hard a message a week seems to get posted.

            I too started out with the Northwestern School back in the late 60's
            and sure enjoyed getting those little booklets and practicing my new
            hobby.

            Does any one on the group know when the school closed.  I assume it
            did close as I no longer see adds for it, but wonder when it did and
            how long that school was around.

            by the way I am from southern Louisiana.  Where are you from,  and
            that reminds me perhaps others on this group might join in and at
            least introduce themselves and tell us all where you are from.

            Garrie Landry
            --
            Garrie

            My name is Katie. I am from Oregon... The Pacific Northwest. Am I the only
            women on the list??
            Katie