Snake skining

  • Sally
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11, 2001
      Hi,

      I new to the group! I was wondering if anyone here could help
      me with instructions on how to preserve snake hides. I keep
      snakes as pet and occasionally have one die (i've also picked up
      dead copperhead on the road and frozen them) I've been told by
      locals who aren't into taxidermy that rubbing the skinned hide
      down with salt will keep it plyable. Anyone with any info please
      feel free to respond.

      Thanks
      Sally
    • garrie@cox-internet.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 14, 2001
        >Hi,
        >
        >I new to the group! I was wondering if anyone here could help
        >me with instructions on how to preserve snake hides. I keep
        >snakes as pet and occasionally have one die (i've also picked up
        >dead copperhead on the road and frozen them) I've been told by
        >locals who aren't into taxidermy that rubbing the skinned hide
        >down with salt will keep it plyable. Anyone with any info please
        >feel free to respond.

        COMMON borax is fine for most snake skins, I have dried several that
        way and they appear to be in good shape, they they are stiff and not
        pliable.
        --
        Garrie