Re: [taxidermy] How old is too old ?

  • knhanne
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2001
      Brett,

      I am not a professional, but I was told 1 year in a freezer was about the
      max. I have mounted ducks that have been in the freezer for 2 yrs (not
      skinned though and wrapped in plastic bag and then wrapped in paper bag. I
      had no problems. As far as being skinned for 2 years, hmmm, As you
      mentioned the skin might be to dried out, but I don't know the answer. It
      doesn't hurt to try especially if you already have the body and head paid
      for. As for the fuel question, After skinning I soak the skin and
      obviously feathers in warm water and Dawn dish soap then rinse and blow dry
      half way. Then I soak it in Coleman lantern fuel for a few minutes and
      drain out as much as possibly. Then again blow dry to about 3/4 dry on cool
      setting of hair dryer, so you have time to mount before it thoroughly dries.
      Keep the hairdryer at a distance and use cool setting (remember it was fuel
      you soaked it in). After getting it mounted the way you want- I use cool
      setting again to puff the feathers a little. This is all advice I got from
      a professional and has worked well for me. Don't forget to use a
      preservative on the skin before placing on the body and head.

      Good Luck,

      Ken
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
        Thanks for the help , I will give it a try. Next time I wont wait as
        long !!!

        Brett , North Calif.