New member needs helps

  • garyphansen
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2005
      I shot my first black bear last Monday. I have skinned, fleshed out
      ant salted the hide. I would like to make a bear rug and need a easy
      and cheap way to tan the hide. (My wife has just spent 14 days in the
      hospital and I am low on cash) All I nead is a way to perserve the
      hide and keep the air from falling out. I do not need the hide to be
      soft leather. One guy I talked to said to soak the hide in unleaded
      gas for three days. That sounded easy but I am not sure that it is a
      good idea and would hate to reck my bear hide. Please, if anyone has
      had good success with tanning a bear hide let me know how you did it.
      I noticed quite a few types of tanning supplies in a taxidermy
      catalog and would like to know what is easiest and cheapest but still
      works. Gary P. Hansen
    • Bob Littlefield
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2005
        did you turn the lips eyes and ears if you didnt it will shrink any one of the kits in a catalogue will work

        garyphansen <garyphansen@...> wrote:
        I shot my first black bear last Monday.  I have skinned, fleshed out
        ant salted the hide.  I would like to make a bear rug and need a easy
        and cheap way to tan the hide. (My wife has just spent 14 days in the
        hospital and I am low on cash)  All I nead is a way to perserve the
        hide and keep the air from falling out.  I do not need the hide to be
        soft leather.  One guy I talked to said to soak the hide in unleaded
        gas for three days.  That sounded easy but I am not sure that it is a
        good idea and would hate to reck my bear hide.  Please, if anyone has
        had good success with tanning a bear hide let me know how you did it.
        I noticed quite a few types of tanning supplies in a taxidermy
        catalog and would like to know what is easiest and cheapest but still
        works.  Gary P. Hansen

        taxidermy@onelist.com -- The Taxidermist Listserv

      • Garrie Landry
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 9, 2005
          well all i can say is that the gasoline will make the skin very hard
          and unsuitable for tanning ever.
        • greg lesher
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 10, 2005
            I used a chromeieum (not sure on the spelling) tan
            from VanDykes on elk hydes and it worked great. I did
            not even work the hide to much and after 10 years it
            is still soft and the hair is still on.

            Greg

            http://mail.yahoo.com