tanning hides

  • ballistim
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2005
      I'm brand new to this group, and I've tanned small hides in the
      past with so-so results, and would like any tips from those with
      experience on tanning hides hair-on & off. I have coyote & raccoon
      pelts that I'd like to learn to do hair-on as I belong to a
      muzzleloading group and I'd like to design a winter outfit to go
      with my new custom made flintlock so that I can participate in
      primitive matches and dress appropriately for colder weather.
      I also have a beautiful long haired pelt of a cow I'm having
      butchered, and wondered if there would be any method available to
      try on my own. I realize this would be a difficult & time consuming
      project, but am willing to try as the fur is exceptional and don't
      have the money to pay to have it done professionally as I've spent
      my cash on my rifle and am having a coyote mounted at this time.
      I've recently tanned a deer hide using the brain tanning method
      from the book "Buckskin" by Edholm & Wilder.
      Any tips on methods and materials used would be greatly
      appreciated. Thanks! /// tim