Looking for Historic Sage-Grouse Specimens

  • krissybush
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2005
      Wanted: Historic Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Northern Montana
      Sage-Grouse Samples

      I am a Ph.D. student at the University of Alberta studying the genetic
      structure of Canadian and northern Montana Sage-Grouse. Part of my
      project involves comparing the genetic diversity of present and
      historic samples. The purpose of this is to determine potential
      causes for the decline seen in Canadian Sage-Grouse and to determine
      whether Canadian and northern Montana birds form a single population.

      I am looking for people with birds killed prior to 1996 in Alberta,
      Saskatchewan, British Columbia, or northern Montana (Blaine, Phillips,
      and Valley counties). For birds to be used in this study, I need to
      know the approximate time period that the bird was killed (e.g.
      decade) and approximate location. Samples can be taken from mounted
      birds, skins, or collected feathers.

      If you are interested in contributing to this research and have birds
      that fit these criteria, please contact me by email or mail for a
      sample collection kit and instructions. Thank you.

      Krissy Bush
      Department of Biological Sciences
      University of Alberta
      Edmonton, Alberta, Canada