RE: [taxidermy] mounting ducks

  • Pat Luhman
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 12, 2004
      Howard,

      I agree with Steph. I would not recommend a school. I looked into it at
      the beginning and then decided against it and have never been sorry. To me
      they teach you enough to be dangerous. If I were to do it over again I
      would do what was recommended to me- take the money that you were going to
      spend on the school, buy past issues of Breakthrough magazine, and the tapes
      and how to from WASCO.

      Then go to friends (if you are not a hunter) or take some vacation and go
      out shooting, and practice on your own specimens. In the beginning, I
      mounted a lot for friend for cost and experience. When you feel
      comfortable, with the individual skills, make appointments with professions
      - ones that are truly at the top (or close to it) of their category and
      spend time with them. Get involved with state taxidermy associations and go
      to all of their seminars and meetings. Ask a lot of questions, I can't
      believe how many hundreds of questions I asked. Then practice some more.
      You can always take the skin off the manikin and redo what you did. Submit
      something (or just take it) to your state taxidermy meetings and ask for
      input on your mount. The new philosophy among most taxidermists is not to
      hide our knowledge but to share it.

      Hope this helps

      Pat

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 13, 2004
        Dear Pat,
        Thanks alot for that advice. That sounds like a great way to do it.
        I am a hands on type and like to ask questons as I get to them. I am
        a hunter so I get plenty of blue wing and green wing teal, wood
        ducks, mallards, and an assortment of many others to practice with
        here in South Carolina. Ultimately I want to mount most of the
        species that we take in this area. If I make a little money with it
        down the road thats great but I figure the money I am going to save
        by not paying for these mounts will be the biggest savings. Also I
        think it will be a hobby that appeals to my meticulous nature and my
        near obsession with ducks. Thanks again.
        Cheers,
        Blade