Re: [taxidermy] mounting ducks

  • ectopistes@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
      The point is Garrie, you either have to buy bodies or make
      them----either way you either have to spend five dollars and save the
      time or you can spend about two dollars and take up your time and have a
      MESS. And those who do not have tumblers do not have "washed" birds
      and if they are washed, they look like they are dead of you do not
      tumble them or have some other "ingenius" means of fluffing the feathers
      back to normal as they should be or else you can stand and dry it for an
      hour with your compressor----noone wants to do that for sure. Ducks
      NEED to be washed as they bleed and are very greasy. By the time you
      degrease them they are a mess and no way out of washing them that I can
      see. You make it sound like you can save lots of money by doing things
      differntly, and that just is not so----if you want a nice looking mount
      that is. Steph

      http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/PassengerPigeon

      http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/ThePassengerPigeon

      http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/MYPASSENGERPIGEONS

      Seu Tefila Le-Shlom Yisrael
      God Bless America
    • blade843sc
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
        Thanks guys for the helpful info. Seems to have sparked some
        interesting dialogue. Alot of these terms and processes and machines
        are Greek to me. Look forward to the learning process. Cheers
      • Pat Luhman
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 12, 2004
          Howard,

          I agree with Steph. I would not recommend a school. I looked into it at
          the beginning and then decided against it and have never been sorry. To me
          they teach you enough to be dangerous. If I were to do it over again I
          would do what was recommended to me- take the money that you were going to
          spend on the school, buy past issues of Breakthrough magazine, and the tapes
          and how to from WASCO.

          Then go to friends (if you are not a hunter) or take some vacation and go
          out shooting, and practice on your own specimens. In the beginning, I
          mounted a lot for friend for cost and experience. When you feel
          comfortable, with the individual skills, make appointments with professions
          - ones that are truly at the top (or close to it) of their category and
          spend time with them. Get involved with state taxidermy associations and go
          to all of their seminars and meetings. Ask a lot of questions, I can't
          believe how many hundreds of questions I asked. Then practice some more.
          You can always take the skin off the manikin and redo what you did. Submit
          something (or just take it) to your state taxidermy meetings and ask for
          input on your mount. The new philosophy among most taxidermists is not to
          hide our knowledge but to share it.

          Hope this helps

          Pat

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 13, 2004
            Dear Pat,
            Thanks alot for that advice. That sounds like a great way to do it.
            I am a hands on type and like to ask questons as I get to them. I am
            a hunter so I get plenty of blue wing and green wing teal, wood
            ducks, mallards, and an assortment of many others to practice with
            here in South Carolina. Ultimately I want to mount most of the
            species that we take in this area. If I make a little money with it
            down the road thats great but I figure the money I am going to save
            by not paying for these mounts will be the biggest savings. Also I
            think it will be a hobby that appeals to my meticulous nature and my
            near obsession with ducks. Thanks again.
            Cheers,
            Blade