Re: [taxidermy] mounting ducks

  • Garrie Landry
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
      pardon me steff but I know several local PROFESSIONAL taxidermist and
      none of them have tumblers. and I am serious, A tumbler is only
      beneficial if you are doing this commercially where you need the
      tumbler to do lots of ducks.

      I mounted ducks in my taxidermy day and never needed a tumbler. I also
      never bought pre made bodies and made my own to old fashion way and a
      professional taxidermist would still take the time to wrap his own duck
      body, again the only reason to buy bodies is to save time, it does not
      produce a better duck

      when I get home tonight I will write more about mounting ducks for the
      hobby and not for the expense.
    • ectopistes@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
        Howard, I can tell you nothing about the courses or schools since I have
        never been to one. I am sure the schools are great but you have to
        travel and live somewhere else (there are very few of them) and they do
        cost. Best to learn from a private teacher if you have one
        available----better than a school anyway because you can get individual
        attention as you would be asking lots of questions. Steph

        http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/PassengerPigeon

        http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/ThePassengerPigeon

        http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/MYPASSENGERPIGEONS

        Seu Tefila Le-Shlom Yisrael
        God Bless America
      • ectopistes@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
          The point is Garrie, you either have to buy bodies or make
          them----either way you either have to spend five dollars and save the
          time or you can spend about two dollars and take up your time and have a
          MESS. And those who do not have tumblers do not have "washed" birds
          and if they are washed, they look like they are dead of you do not
          tumble them or have some other "ingenius" means of fluffing the feathers
          back to normal as they should be or else you can stand and dry it for an
          hour with your compressor----noone wants to do that for sure. Ducks
          NEED to be washed as they bleed and are very greasy. By the time you
          degrease them they are a mess and no way out of washing them that I can
          see. You make it sound like you can save lots of money by doing things
          differntly, and that just is not so----if you want a nice looking mount
          that is. Steph

          http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/PassengerPigeon

          http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/ThePassengerPigeon

          http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/MYPASSENGERPIGEONS

          Seu Tefila Le-Shlom Yisrael
          God Bless America
        • blade843sc
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
            Thanks guys for the helpful info. Seems to have sparked some
            interesting dialogue. Alot of these terms and processes and machines
            are Greek to me. Look forward to the learning process. Cheers
          • Pat Luhman
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 12, 2004
              Howard,

              I agree with Steph. I would not recommend a school. I looked into it at
              the beginning and then decided against it and have never been sorry. To me
              they teach you enough to be dangerous. If I were to do it over again I
              would do what was recommended to me- take the money that you were going to
              spend on the school, buy past issues of Breakthrough magazine, and the tapes
              and how to from WASCO.

              Then go to friends (if you are not a hunter) or take some vacation and go
              out shooting, and practice on your own specimens. In the beginning, I
              mounted a lot for friend for cost and experience. When you feel
              comfortable, with the individual skills, make appointments with professions
              - ones that are truly at the top (or close to it) of their category and
              spend time with them. Get involved with state taxidermy associations and go
              to all of their seminars and meetings. Ask a lot of questions, I can't
              believe how many hundreds of questions I asked. Then practice some more.
              You can always take the skin off the manikin and redo what you did. Submit
              something (or just take it) to your state taxidermy meetings and ask for
              input on your mount. The new philosophy among most taxidermists is not to
              hide our knowledge but to share it.

              Hope this helps

              Pat

              Howard, I can tell you nothing about the courses or schools since I have
              never been to one. I am sure the schools are great but you have to
              travel and live somewhere else (there are very few of them) and they do
              cost. Best to learn from a private teacher if you have one
              available----better than a school anyway because you can get individual
              attention as you would be asking lots of questions. Steph

              http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/PassengerPigeon

              http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/ThePassengerPigeon

              http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/MYPASSENGERPIGEONS

              Seu Tefila Le-Shlom Yisrael
              God Bless America

              taxidermy@onelist.com -- The Taxidermist Listserv
              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • blade843sc
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 13, 2004
                Dear Pat,
                Thanks alot for that advice. That sounds like a great way to do it.
                I am a hands on type and like to ask questons as I get to them. I am
                a hunter so I get plenty of blue wing and green wing teal, wood
                ducks, mallards, and an assortment of many others to practice with
                here in South Carolina. Ultimately I want to mount most of the
                species that we take in this area. If I make a little money with it
                down the road thats great but I figure the money I am going to save
                by not paying for these mounts will be the biggest savings. Also I
                think it will be a hobby that appeals to my meticulous nature and my
                near obsession with ducks. Thanks again.
                Cheers,
                Blade