Re: [taxidermy] mounting ducks

  • ectopistes@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
      Howard, I just recently learned to taxidermy pigeons. Had a good
      teacher and it took me a solid six months working every day, just to
      learn to do one kind of bird. Supposedly ducks are easier than
      pigeons, but they are a greasey, bloody mess and you mush have some
      costly equipment in order to do a descent job on them----so they don't
      look dead. They need to be degreased after skinning. Supplies include
      rolls of wire, eyes, bodies, feet, bills, cotton, string, clay, a
      grinder with a wire brush, a tumbler which costs around $500. to $800.
      and a good compressor. Without these things it cannot be done so it
      does run into some money. Also I would venture to say that without a
      good teacher it would be nearly impossible to learn to do a good job and
      that is even if you have books or videos on the subject. There is NO
      WAY to learn this through e-mails. You need to see how it is done and
      get some on-hands practice with someone that knows how or it would take
      you forever to learn. I don't recommend it as a passing hobby as it
      can get expensive and takes a lot of learning as it is "not" an easy
      skill. That is my advice for what it is worth. Steph

      http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/PassengerPigeon

      http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/ThePassengerPigeon

      http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/MYPASSENGERPIGEONS

      Seu Tefila Le-Shlom Yisrael
      God Bless America
    • howard taggart
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
        Hey Steph,
        Thanks for the info.  There is a local guy who has one several awards with ducks.  I may contact him to see if I can at least check out his facility and watch him work a little.  What do you think about these Taxidermy schools or courses? better or worse than an "apprentice" type situation?
        Cheers,
        Howard

        ectopistes@... wrote:
[...]

        taxidermy@onelist.com -- The Taxidermist Listserv

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Garrie Landry
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
          pardon me steff but I know several local PROFESSIONAL taxidermist and
          none of them have tumblers. and I am serious, A tumbler is only
          beneficial if you are doing this commercially where you need the
          tumbler to do lots of ducks.

          I mounted ducks in my taxidermy day and never needed a tumbler. I also
          never bought pre made bodies and made my own to old fashion way and a
          professional taxidermist would still take the time to wrap his own duck
          body, again the only reason to buy bodies is to save time, it does not
          produce a better duck

          when I get home tonight I will write more about mounting ducks for the
          hobby and not for the expense.
        • Garrie Landry
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
            I learned by taking a taxidermy correspondence course PLUS going to
            visit a working taxidermist near by and going to him with problems for
            help, I would recommend both of those things. You can get lots of
            good old taxidermy books on line at www.bookfinder.com, search for
            some, you'll be amazed at how many there are, the older the better in
            my opinion
          • ectopistes@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
              Howard, I can tell you nothing about the courses or schools since I have
              never been to one. I am sure the schools are great but you have to
              travel and live somewhere else (there are very few of them) and they do
              cost. Best to learn from a private teacher if you have one
              available----better than a school anyway because you can get individual
              attention as you would be asking lots of questions. Steph

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
                The point is Garrie, you either have to buy bodies or make
                them----either way you either have to spend five dollars and save the
                time or you can spend about two dollars and take up your time and have a
                MESS. And those who do not have tumblers do not have "washed" birds
                and if they are washed, they look like they are dead of you do not
                tumble them or have some other "ingenius" means of fluffing the feathers
                back to normal as they should be or else you can stand and dry it for an
                hour with your compressor----noone wants to do that for sure. Ducks
                NEED to be washed as they bleed and are very greasy. By the time you
                degrease them they are a mess and no way out of washing them that I can
                see. You make it sound like you can save lots of money by doing things
                differntly, and that just is not so----if you want a nice looking mount
                that is. Steph

                http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/PassengerPigeon

                http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/ThePassengerPigeon

                http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/MYPASSENGERPIGEONS

                Seu Tefila Le-Shlom Yisrael
                God Bless America
              • blade843sc
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
                  Thanks guys for the helpful info. Seems to have sparked some
                  interesting dialogue. Alot of these terms and processes and machines
                  are Greek to me. Look forward to the learning process. Cheers
                • Pat Luhman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 12, 2004
                    Howard,

                    I agree with Steph. I would not recommend a school. I looked into it at
                    the beginning and then decided against it and have never been sorry. To me
                    they teach you enough to be dangerous. If I were to do it over again I
                    would do what was recommended to me- take the money that you were going to
                    spend on the school, buy past issues of Breakthrough magazine, and the tapes
                    and how to from WASCO.

                    Then go to friends (if you are not a hunter) or take some vacation and go
                    out shooting, and practice on your own specimens. In the beginning, I
                    mounted a lot for friend for cost and experience. When you feel
                    comfortable, with the individual skills, make appointments with professions
                    - ones that are truly at the top (or close to it) of their category and
                    spend time with them. Get involved with state taxidermy associations and go
                    to all of their seminars and meetings. Ask a lot of questions, I can't
                    believe how many hundreds of questions I asked. Then practice some more.
                    You can always take the skin off the manikin and redo what you did. Submit
                    something (or just take it) to your state taxidermy meetings and ask for
                    input on your mount. The new philosophy among most taxidermists is not to
                    hide our knowledge but to share it.

                    Hope this helps

                    Pat

                    Howard, I can tell you nothing about the courses or schools since I have
                    never been to one. I am sure the schools are great but you have to
                    travel and live somewhere else (there are very few of them) and they do
                    cost. Best to learn from a private teacher if you have one
                    available----better than a school anyway because you can get individual
                    attention as you would be asking lots of questions. Steph

                    http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/PassengerPigeon

                    http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/ThePassengerPigeon

                    http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/MYPASSENGERPIGEONS

                    Seu Tefila Le-Shlom Yisrael
                    God Bless America

                    taxidermy@onelist.com -- The Taxidermist Listserv
                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • blade843sc
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 13, 2004
                      Dear Pat,
                      Thanks alot for that advice. That sounds like a great way to do it.
                      I am a hands on type and like to ask questons as I get to them. I am
                      a hunter so I get plenty of blue wing and green wing teal, wood
                      ducks, mallards, and an assortment of many others to practice with
                      here in South Carolina. Ultimately I want to mount most of the
                      species that we take in this area. If I make a little money with it
                      down the road thats great but I figure the money I am going to save
                      by not paying for these mounts will be the biggest savings. Also I
                      think it will be a hobby that appeals to my meticulous nature and my
                      near obsession with ducks. Thanks again.
                      Cheers,
                      Blade