Re: [taxidermy] mounting ducks

  • howard taggart
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
      The only response I got was how to order a booklet from some taxidermy school.  I am a hunter and am interested in this as a hobby.  any advice, info, warnings, encouragements are appreciated.
      thanks

      Garrie Landry <garrie@...> wrote:

      On Dec 1, 2004, at 4:32 PM, blade843sc wrote:

      > Am interested in learning taxidermy especially ducks.  dont know
      > where to start seeking info on how and where to learn.  any ideas?
      > thanks

      did anyone answer your query about learning to mount ducks

      garrie in Louisiana

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • ectopistes@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
        Howard, I just recently learned to taxidermy pigeons. Had a good
        teacher and it took me a solid six months working every day, just to
        learn to do one kind of bird. Supposedly ducks are easier than
        pigeons, but they are a greasey, bloody mess and you mush have some
        costly equipment in order to do a descent job on them----so they don't
        look dead. They need to be degreased after skinning. Supplies include
        rolls of wire, eyes, bodies, feet, bills, cotton, string, clay, a
        grinder with a wire brush, a tumbler which costs around $500. to $800.
        and a good compressor. Without these things it cannot be done so it
        does run into some money. Also I would venture to say that without a
        good teacher it would be nearly impossible to learn to do a good job and
        that is even if you have books or videos on the subject. There is NO
        WAY to learn this through e-mails. You need to see how it is done and
        get some on-hands practice with someone that knows how or it would take
        you forever to learn. I don't recommend it as a passing hobby as it
        can get expensive and takes a lot of learning as it is "not" an easy
        skill. That is my advice for what it is worth. Steph

        http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/PassengerPigeon

        http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/ThePassengerPigeon

        http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/MYPASSENGERPIGEONS

        Seu Tefila Le-Shlom Yisrael
        God Bless America
      • howard taggart
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
          Hey Steph,
          Thanks for the info.  There is a local guy who has one several awards with ducks.  I may contact him to see if I can at least check out his facility and watch him work a little.  What do you think about these Taxidermy schools or courses? better or worse than an "apprentice" type situation?
          Cheers,
          Howard

          ectopistes@... wrote:
[...]

          taxidermy@onelist.com -- The Taxidermist Listserv

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Garrie Landry
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
            pardon me steff but I know several local PROFESSIONAL taxidermist and
            none of them have tumblers. and I am serious, A tumbler is only
            beneficial if you are doing this commercially where you need the
            tumbler to do lots of ducks.

            I mounted ducks in my taxidermy day and never needed a tumbler. I also
            never bought pre made bodies and made my own to old fashion way and a
            professional taxidermist would still take the time to wrap his own duck
            body, again the only reason to buy bodies is to save time, it does not
            produce a better duck

            when I get home tonight I will write more about mounting ducks for the
            hobby and not for the expense.
          • Garrie Landry
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
              I learned by taking a taxidermy correspondence course PLUS going to
              visit a working taxidermist near by and going to him with problems for
              help, I would recommend both of those things. You can get lots of
              good old taxidermy books on line at www.bookfinder.com, search for
              some, you'll be amazed at how many there are, the older the better in
              my opinion
            • ectopistes@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
                Howard, I can tell you nothing about the courses or schools since I have
                never been to one. I am sure the schools are great but you have to
                travel and live somewhere else (there are very few of them) and they do
                cost. Best to learn from a private teacher if you have one
                available----better than a school anyway because you can get individual
                attention as you would be asking lots of questions. Steph

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
                  The point is Garrie, you either have to buy bodies or make
                  them----either way you either have to spend five dollars and save the
                  time or you can spend about two dollars and take up your time and have a
                  MESS. And those who do not have tumblers do not have "washed" birds
                  and if they are washed, they look like they are dead of you do not
                  tumble them or have some other "ingenius" means of fluffing the feathers
                  back to normal as they should be or else you can stand and dry it for an
                  hour with your compressor----noone wants to do that for sure. Ducks
                  NEED to be washed as they bleed and are very greasy. By the time you
                  degrease them they are a mess and no way out of washing them that I can
                  see. You make it sound like you can save lots of money by doing things
                  differntly, and that just is not so----if you want a nice looking mount
                  that is. Steph

                  http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/PassengerPigeon

                  http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/ThePassengerPigeon

                  http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/MYPASSENGERPIGEONS

                  Seu Tefila Le-Shlom Yisrael
                  God Bless America
                • blade843sc
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
                    Thanks guys for the helpful info. Seems to have sparked some
                    interesting dialogue. Alot of these terms and processes and machines
                    are Greek to me. Look forward to the learning process. Cheers
                  • Pat Luhman
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 12, 2004
                      Howard,

                      I agree with Steph. I would not recommend a school. I looked into it at
                      the beginning and then decided against it and have never been sorry. To me
                      they teach you enough to be dangerous. If I were to do it over again I
                      would do what was recommended to me- take the money that you were going to
                      spend on the school, buy past issues of Breakthrough magazine, and the tapes
                      and how to from WASCO.

                      Then go to friends (if you are not a hunter) or take some vacation and go
                      out shooting, and practice on your own specimens. In the beginning, I
                      mounted a lot for friend for cost and experience. When you feel
                      comfortable, with the individual skills, make appointments with professions
                      - ones that are truly at the top (or close to it) of their category and
                      spend time with them. Get involved with state taxidermy associations and go
                      to all of their seminars and meetings. Ask a lot of questions, I can't
                      believe how many hundreds of questions I asked. Then practice some more.
                      You can always take the skin off the manikin and redo what you did. Submit
                      something (or just take it) to your state taxidermy meetings and ask for
                      input on your mount. The new philosophy among most taxidermists is not to
                      hide our knowledge but to share it.

                      Hope this helps

                      Pat

                      Howard, I can tell you nothing about the courses or schools since I have
                      never been to one. I am sure the schools are great but you have to
                      travel and live somewhere else (there are very few of them) and they do
                      cost. Best to learn from a private teacher if you have one
                      available----better than a school anyway because you can get individual
                      attention as you would be asking lots of questions. Steph

                      http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/PassengerPigeon

                      http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/ThePassengerPigeon

                      http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/MYPASSENGERPIGEONS

                      Seu Tefila Le-Shlom Yisrael
                      God Bless America

                      taxidermy@onelist.com -- The Taxidermist Listserv
                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • blade843sc
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 13, 2004
                        Dear Pat,
                        Thanks alot for that advice. That sounds like a great way to do it.
                        I am a hands on type and like to ask questons as I get to them. I am
                        a hunter so I get plenty of blue wing and green wing teal, wood
                        ducks, mallards, and an assortment of many others to practice with
                        here in South Carolina. Ultimately I want to mount most of the
                        species that we take in this area. If I make a little money with it
                        down the road thats great but I figure the money I am going to save
                        by not paying for these mounts will be the biggest savings. Also I
                        think it will be a hobby that appeals to my meticulous nature and my
                        near obsession with ducks. Thanks again.
                        Cheers,
                        Blade