mounting ducks

  • blade843sc
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
      Am interested in learning taxidermy especially ducks. dont know
      where to start seeking info on how and where to learn. any ideas?
      thanks
    • Garrie Landry
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 8, 2004
        On Dec 1, 2004, at 4:32 PM, blade843sc wrote:

        > Am interested in learning taxidermy especially ducks.  dont know
        > where to start seeking info on how and where to learn.  any ideas?
        > thanks

        did anyone answer your query about learning to mount ducks

        garrie in Louisiana
      • howard taggart
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
          The only response I got was how to order a booklet from some taxidermy school.  I am a hunter and am interested in this as a hobby.  any advice, info, warnings, encouragements are appreciated.
          thanks

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • ectopistes@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
            Howard, I just recently learned to taxidermy pigeons. Had a good
            teacher and it took me a solid six months working every day, just to
            learn to do one kind of bird. Supposedly ducks are easier than
            pigeons, but they are a greasey, bloody mess and you mush have some
            costly equipment in order to do a descent job on them----so they don't
            look dead. They need to be degreased after skinning. Supplies include
            rolls of wire, eyes, bodies, feet, bills, cotton, string, clay, a
            grinder with a wire brush, a tumbler which costs around $500. to $800.
            and a good compressor. Without these things it cannot be done so it
            does run into some money. Also I would venture to say that without a
            good teacher it would be nearly impossible to learn to do a good job and
            that is even if you have books or videos on the subject. There is NO
            WAY to learn this through e-mails. You need to see how it is done and
            get some on-hands practice with someone that knows how or it would take
            you forever to learn. I don't recommend it as a passing hobby as it
            can get expensive and takes a lot of learning as it is "not" an easy
            skill. That is my advice for what it is worth. Steph

            http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/PassengerPigeon

            http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/ThePassengerPigeon

            http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/MYPASSENGERPIGEONS

            Seu Tefila Le-Shlom Yisrael
            God Bless America
          • howard taggart
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
              Hey Steph,
              Thanks for the info.  There is a local guy who has one several awards with ducks.  I may contact him to see if I can at least check out his facility and watch him work a little.  What do you think about these Taxidermy schools or courses? better or worse than an "apprentice" type situation?
              Cheers,
              Howard

              ectopistes@... wrote:
[...]

              taxidermy@onelist.com -- The Taxidermist Listserv

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Garrie Landry
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
                pardon me steff but I know several local PROFESSIONAL taxidermist and
                none of them have tumblers. and I am serious, A tumbler is only
                beneficial if you are doing this commercially where you need the
                tumbler to do lots of ducks.

                I mounted ducks in my taxidermy day and never needed a tumbler. I also
                never bought pre made bodies and made my own to old fashion way and a
                professional taxidermist would still take the time to wrap his own duck
                body, again the only reason to buy bodies is to save time, it does not
                produce a better duck

                when I get home tonight I will write more about mounting ducks for the
                hobby and not for the expense.
              • Garrie Landry
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
                  I learned by taking a taxidermy correspondence course PLUS going to
                  visit a working taxidermist near by and going to him with problems for
                  help, I would recommend both of those things. You can get lots of
                  good old taxidermy books on line at www.bookfinder.com, search for
                  some, you'll be amazed at how many there are, the older the better in
                  my opinion
                • ectopistes@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
                    Howard, I can tell you nothing about the courses or schools since I have
                    never been to one. I am sure the schools are great but you have to
                    travel and live somewhere else (there are very few of them) and they do
                    cost. Best to learn from a private teacher if you have one
                    available----better than a school anyway because you can get individual
                    attention as you would be asking lots of questions. Steph

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
                      The point is Garrie, you either have to buy bodies or make
                      them----either way you either have to spend five dollars and save the
                      time or you can spend about two dollars and take up your time and have a
                      MESS. And those who do not have tumblers do not have "washed" birds
                      and if they are washed, they look like they are dead of you do not
                      tumble them or have some other "ingenius" means of fluffing the feathers
                      back to normal as they should be or else you can stand and dry it for an
                      hour with your compressor----noone wants to do that for sure. Ducks
                      NEED to be washed as they bleed and are very greasy. By the time you
                      degrease them they are a mess and no way out of washing them that I can
                      see. You make it sound like you can save lots of money by doing things
                      differntly, and that just is not so----if you want a nice looking mount
                      that is. Steph

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
                        Thanks guys for the helpful info. Seems to have sparked some
                        interesting dialogue. Alot of these terms and processes and machines
                        are Greek to me. Look forward to the learning process. Cheers
                      • Pat Luhman
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 12, 2004
                          Howard,

                          I agree with Steph. I would not recommend a school. I looked into it at
                          the beginning and then decided against it and have never been sorry. To me
                          they teach you enough to be dangerous. If I were to do it over again I
                          would do what was recommended to me- take the money that you were going to
                          spend on the school, buy past issues of Breakthrough magazine, and the tapes
                          and how to from WASCO.

                          Then go to friends (if you are not a hunter) or take some vacation and go
                          out shooting, and practice on your own specimens. In the beginning, I
                          mounted a lot for friend for cost and experience. When you feel
                          comfortable, with the individual skills, make appointments with professions
                          - ones that are truly at the top (or close to it) of their category and
                          spend time with them. Get involved with state taxidermy associations and go
                          to all of their seminars and meetings. Ask a lot of questions, I can't
                          believe how many hundreds of questions I asked. Then practice some more.
                          You can always take the skin off the manikin and redo what you did. Submit
                          something (or just take it) to your state taxidermy meetings and ask for
                          input on your mount. The new philosophy among most taxidermists is not to
                          hide our knowledge but to share it.

                          Hope this helps

                          Pat

                          Howard, I can tell you nothing about the courses or schools since I have
                          never been to one. I am sure the schools are great but you have to
                          travel and live somewhere else (there are very few of them) and they do
                          cost. Best to learn from a private teacher if you have one
                          available----better than a school anyway because you can get individual
                          attention as you would be asking lots of questions. Steph

                          http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/PassengerPigeon

                          http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/ThePassengerPigeon

                          http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/MYPASSENGERPIGEONS

                          Seu Tefila Le-Shlom Yisrael
                          God Bless America

                          taxidermy@onelist.com -- The Taxidermist Listserv
                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • blade843sc
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 13, 2004
                            Dear Pat,
                            Thanks alot for that advice. That sounds like a great way to do it.
                            I am a hands on type and like to ask questons as I get to them. I am
                            a hunter so I get plenty of blue wing and green wing teal, wood
                            ducks, mallards, and an assortment of many others to practice with
                            here in South Carolina. Ultimately I want to mount most of the
                            species that we take in this area. If I make a little money with it
                            down the road thats great but I figure the money I am going to save
                            by not paying for these mounts will be the biggest savings. Also I
                            think it will be a hobby that appeals to my meticulous nature and my
                            near obsession with ducks. Thanks again.
                            Cheers,
                            Blade