RE: [taxidermy] TAXIDERMY TRAINING

  • george luhman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2003
      Re: [taxidermy] TAXIDERMY TRAINING

      Hey Garrie,

      It is true that there are many schools around the country.  It is also true that you can find many books and tapes out there to help the beginner as well as reference material for the individual.  I looked into the packages from different schools.  The packages are offered but in some instances the school will work a schedule around your needs.

      I was told along time ago that the schools teach you enough to be dangerous.  The trick is to get good at skinning and fleshing by practicing.  Then practice mounting specimens.  Depending on your state’s regulations you can buy capes and antlers to develop you’re your own exhibits.  The next step is to find a taxidermist that is willing to give you one on one training for the specific area you would like to concentrate in.  This may cost you $200.00 or maybe even $300.00 per day but it will be concentrated training.  The taxidermist will be able to show you the fine tricks and methods to a professional mount.

      I hope this helps.

      BTW, one of the suppliers is called Wasco out of Woonsocket, N.D.  I’m not sure on that spelling w/o the book in front of me.  They are located north and a little west of Mitchell where the Corn palace is located.

      George

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 20, 2003
        Dear Sue,

        Thank you for your e-mail. We have videos and booklets that are for
        beginners that he could order. I have heard that the Taxidermy schools are
        expensive and the books work just as well. You can view all items we have
        available on our web site www.taixdermy.com. You may also want to check out
        the www.taxidermy.net web site for more useful information.

        Thanks,
        Connie
        WASCO

        W A S C O -- Wildlife Artist Supply Company
        Toll-Free 1-800-334-8012 -- Office: 770-267-3625 -- Fax: 770-267-8970
        1306 West Spring Street, P. O. Box 967, Monroe, GA 30655 USA
        http://www.taxidermy.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 27, 2003
          Books and videos are great for a refresher course, but you may as well
          figure that to get good at taxidermy- good enough to take in
          business.. you must spend 10-12 years to really refine your skills.
          For three years, I spent so much time trying to get to the point where
          I actually wanted to hang MY stuff on MY wall. Most of it just got
          thrown away and I got discouraged. Then I started going to school.
          School is not always easy, but it is much better with 6 "REAL"
          instructors that you can ask questions. My mounts now look great.

          So yes... the schools are not always cheap... mine is $20,000. But I
          expect to acquire the money back from it in the coming years... as
          well as a nice profit for myself.

          Just an opinion.

          ~Liz~