Re: [taxidermy] TAXIDERMY TRAINING

  • ectopistes@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2003
      Hi. This group seems to be very dead and I wonder if there are any
      members?? I cannot even remember joining this group it has been that
      long and never a message. My thoughts are this. I tried myself to
      find a taxidermy school but there are so few they are way too far away.
      Most items (with some exceptions) in birds are selling below the cost of
      mounting fees on ebay lately----not good. I did order a video on how
      to mount morning doves. The video was so good I think I would have no
      problem doing it for the first time just by following the video step by
      step, but decided not to go into trying taxidermy at this time. There
      are courses you can buy on video and I would urge you to do so that way
      and save a bundle of money and trouble trying to get to a taxidermy
      school. Maybe you will get some suggestions from someone else.
      Steph

      http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/PassengerPigeon

      http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/ThePassengerPigeon

      http://community.webtv.net/ectopistes/MYPASSENGERPIGEONS

      Seu Tefila Le-Shlom Yisrael
      God Bless America
    • garrie@cox-internet.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31, 2003
        Re: [taxidermy] TAXIDERMY TRAINING
        I have seen for sale on several occasions the complete taxidermy lessons by the old Northwestern School of Taxidermy which was located in Omaha Nebraska,   check ebay under taxidermy books and you might find something, those old books are great and still very useful
        --
        Garrie

      • george luhman
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 31, 2003
          Re: [taxidermy] TAXIDERMY TRAINING

          Hey Garrie,

          It is true that there are many schools around the country.  It is also true that you can find many books and tapes out there to help the beginner as well as reference material for the individual.  I looked into the packages from different schools.  The packages are offered but in some instances the school will work a schedule around your needs.

          I was told along time ago that the schools teach you enough to be dangerous.  The trick is to get good at skinning and fleshing by practicing.  Then practice mounting specimens.  Depending on your state’s regulations you can buy capes and antlers to develop you’re your own exhibits.  The next step is to find a taxidermist that is willing to give you one on one training for the specific area you would like to concentrate in.  This may cost you $200.00 or maybe even $300.00 per day but it will be concentrated training.  The taxidermist will be able to show you the fine tricks and methods to a professional mount.

          I hope this helps.

          BTW, one of the suppliers is called Wasco out of Woonsocket, N.D.  I’m not sure on that spelling w/o the book in front of me.  They are located north and a little west of Mitchell where the Corn palace is located.

          George

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 20, 2003
            Dear Sue,

            Thank you for your e-mail. We have videos and booklets that are for
            beginners that he could order. I have heard that the Taxidermy schools are
            expensive and the books work just as well. You can view all items we have
            available on our web site www.taixdermy.com. You may also want to check out
            the www.taxidermy.net web site for more useful information.

            Thanks,
            Connie
            WASCO

            W A S C O -- Wildlife Artist Supply Company
            Toll-Free 1-800-334-8012 -- Office: 770-267-3625 -- Fax: 770-267-8970
            1306 West Spring Street, P. O. Box 967, Monroe, GA 30655 USA
            http://www.taxidermy.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 27, 2003
              Books and videos are great for a refresher course, but you may as well
              figure that to get good at taxidermy- good enough to take in
              business.. you must spend 10-12 years to really refine your skills.
              For three years, I spent so much time trying to get to the point where
              I actually wanted to hang MY stuff on MY wall. Most of it just got
              thrown away and I got discouraged. Then I started going to school.
              School is not always easy, but it is much better with 6 "REAL"
              instructors that you can ask questions. My mounts now look great.

              So yes... the schools are not always cheap... mine is $20,000. But I
              expect to acquire the money back from it in the coming years... as
              well as a nice profit for myself.

              Just an opinion.

              ~Liz~