Re: Question from a newbie

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 13, 2003
      Hello Jess,
      It sounds like you might have purchased a hide that was dry
      preserved, which uses a dry powder to draw the moisture from the
      green hide. It is most likely not harmful to you, just a bit messy
      to contend with. If the hide was thinned, it will have a dry, papery
      feel, as opposed to a soft leather feel. The soft leather feel comes
      from soaking it in an acid solution and then applying a tanning cream
      and stretching it to make it soft, like a glove. Dry preserving will
      be stiffer. Either way, you can just use a whisk broom to remove the
      powder if it bothers you, but you can also let it on to absorbe any
      oils that might remain in the hide. It also will act as a moth proof
      for a time.
      Enjoy you wolf hide.

      > I purchased a tanned wolf hide over the net, and I have a few
      > questions about it. I am not at all familiar with taxidermy and
      hide
      > tanning. My wolf hide has some sort of powder on the underside that
      > comes off when you touch it. I am just curious as to what this is,
      > and what its purpose is. Also, is there anything I should be doing
      > as far as basic regular care and upkeep to keep this hide in good
      > condition?
      >
      > Thanks for any help you can give this novice...
      >
      > --Jess
    • Jess
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 13, 2003
        Thank you for the info.  The skin was described as being tanned, but by what method, I do not know.  The skin is very soft and leathery (or more like suede actually).  I found the powder to be a bit annoying and was curious about its presence, but did not want to remove it if it would in any way damage or compromise the quality of the skin.  I guess I will leave it be for awhile and maybe brush off the excess later.

        Thanks again, I appreciate it.

        --Jess

        It sounds like you might have purchased a hide that was dry
        preserved, which uses a dry powder to draw the moisture from the
        green hide.  It is most likely not harmful to you, just a bit messy
        to contend with.  If the hide was thinned, it will have a dry, papery
        feel, as opposed to a soft leather feel.  The soft leather feel comes
        from soaking it in an acid solution and then applying a tanning cream
        and stretching it to make it soft, like a glove.  Dry preserving will
        be stiffer.  Either way, you can just use a whisk broom to remove the
        powder if it bothers you, but you can also let it on to absorbe any
        oils that might remain in the hide. It also will act as a moth proof
        for a time.
        Enjoy you wolf hide.

        > I purchased a tanned wolf hide over the net, and I have a few
        > questions about it. I am not at all familiar with taxidermy and
        hide
        > tanning. My wolf hide has some sort of powder on the underside that
        > comes off when you touch it. I am just curious as to what this is,
        > and what its purpose is. Also, is there anything I should be doing
        > as far as basic regular care and upkeep to keep this hide in good
        > condition?
        >
        > Thanks for any help you can give this novice...
        >
        > --Jess

        taxidermy@onelist.com -- The Taxidermist Listserv

      • Sallie Dahmes
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 16, 2003
          Dear Jess,

          Thank you for your e-mail in regards to a tanned wolf hide you recently
          purchased on the net. The powder you found on the underside could be salt or
          talc or dry preservative. Cal the seller and ask. Wipe the hide down
          quarterly using Mount Shield. This is our stock #RD216 and sells for $9.79.
          This will help you avoid moths.

          Thanks,
          Connie
          WASCO

          W A S C O -- Wildlife Artist Supply Company
          Toll-Free 1-800-334-8012 -- Office: 770-267-3625 -- Fax: 770-267-8970
          1306 West Spring Street, P. O. Box 967, Monroe, GA 30655 USA
          http://www.taxidermy.com