Question from a newbie

  • Jess
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2003
      Hello,

      I purchased a tanned wolf hide over the net, and I have a few
      questions about it. I am not at all familiar with taxidermy and hide
      tanning. My wolf hide has some sort of powder on the underside that
      comes off when you touch it. I am just curious as to what this is,
      and what its purpose is. Also, is there anything I should be doing
      as far as basic regular care and upkeep to keep this hide in good
      condition?

      Thanks for any help you can give this novice...

      --Jess
    • Karen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 13, 2003
        Hello Jess,
        It sounds like you might have purchased a hide that was dry
        preserved, which uses a dry powder to draw the moisture from the
        green hide. It is most likely not harmful to you, just a bit messy
        to contend with. If the hide was thinned, it will have a dry, papery
        feel, as opposed to a soft leather feel. The soft leather feel comes
        from soaking it in an acid solution and then applying a tanning cream
        and stretching it to make it soft, like a glove. Dry preserving will
        be stiffer. Either way, you can just use a whisk broom to remove the
        powder if it bothers you, but you can also let it on to absorbe any
        oils that might remain in the hide. It also will act as a moth proof
        for a time.
        Enjoy you wolf hide.

        > I purchased a tanned wolf hide over the net, and I have a few
        > questions about it. I am not at all familiar with taxidermy and
        hide
        > tanning. My wolf hide has some sort of powder on the underside that
        > comes off when you touch it. I am just curious as to what this is,
        > and what its purpose is. Also, is there anything I should be doing
        > as far as basic regular care and upkeep to keep this hide in good
        > condition?
        >
        > Thanks for any help you can give this novice...
        >
        > --Jess
      • Jess
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 13, 2003
          Thank you for the info.  The skin was described as being tanned, but by what method, I do not know.  The skin is very soft and leathery (or more like suede actually).  I found the powder to be a bit annoying and was curious about its presence, but did not want to remove it if it would in any way damage or compromise the quality of the skin.  I guess I will leave it be for awhile and maybe brush off the excess later.

          Thanks again, I appreciate it.

          --Jess

          It sounds like you might have purchased a hide that was dry
          preserved, which uses a dry powder to draw the moisture from the
          green hide.  It is most likely not harmful to you, just a bit messy
          to contend with.  If the hide was thinned, it will have a dry, papery
          feel, as opposed to a soft leather feel.  The soft leather feel comes
          from soaking it in an acid solution and then applying a tanning cream
          and stretching it to make it soft, like a glove.  Dry preserving will
          be stiffer.  Either way, you can just use a whisk broom to remove the
          powder if it bothers you, but you can also let it on to absorbe any
          oils that might remain in the hide. It also will act as a moth proof
          for a time.
          Enjoy you wolf hide.

          > I purchased a tanned wolf hide over the net, and I have a few
          > questions about it. I am not at all familiar with taxidermy and
          hide
          > tanning. My wolf hide has some sort of powder on the underside that
          > comes off when you touch it. I am just curious as to what this is,
          > and what its purpose is. Also, is there anything I should be doing
          > as far as basic regular care and upkeep to keep this hide in good
          > condition?
          >
          > Thanks for any help you can give this novice...
          >
          > --Jess

          taxidermy@onelist.com -- The Taxidermist Listserv

        • Sallie Dahmes
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 16, 2003
            Dear Jess,

            Thank you for your e-mail in regards to a tanned wolf hide you recently
            purchased on the net. The powder you found on the underside could be salt or
            talc or dry preservative. Cal the seller and ask. Wipe the hide down
            quarterly using Mount Shield. This is our stock #RD216 and sells for $9.79.
            This will help you avoid moths.

            Thanks,
            Connie
            WASCO

            W A S C O -- Wildlife Artist Supply Company
            Toll-Free 1-800-334-8012 -- Office: 770-267-3625 -- Fax: 770-267-8970
            1306 West Spring Street, P. O. Box 967, Monroe, GA 30655 USA
            http://www.taxidermy.com