Hello everyone!

  • baysh@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2001
      WOW! I didn't realize that there was a taxidermy group on the web!!
      Here is a (long) background of me:
      Around the age of 13, the idea of taxidermy (to make a live rendition
      of animal after it is dead) sucked me in its clutches, never to
      release me (thank goodness.) But unfortunetly, not many people where
      I live know much about it, so for over 7yrs I've been teaching myself
      through research in books (the library is a truly resourcful place),
      talking to a taxidermist, tanning skins through trial and error (lots
      of error, but i've learned losts :), and just these past couple of
      years I've been able to get a hold of a few good specimens to do full
      body mounts, nothing big, just like raccoon size and such. Luckly
      though, to the disgust of my entire family, they've been real
      supportive in helping me out in my quest to learn all I can to one
      day be a full time taxidermist(hopefully.) So, when anyone I know
      sees a dead animal, I usually get a phone call or a "suprise bag"
      when I come home on the weekends. In my senior year of high school,
      a colomnist wrote an article about me and took pictures of
      my "portfolio". That weekend I got a phone call from a neighbor who
      lived down the hill from me, saying that someone had dumped an elk
      hide (head and all) on their property (but because I didn't know if I
      could legally take it, because it was a raw hide and there was a
      suspecion that it could have been poached, I didn't take it. shucks!)
      I'm in college right now, but my desire is to go to a taxidermy
      school and learn all of the in-and-outs of the art. I would love to
      hear from someone already in the business and what its like, that
      would be great!! And if anyone has any suggestions on how to soften
      an elk hide and what household item could be used to degreese a
      raccoon skin that would be wonderful!!
      Good luck to everyone!
      heather
    • garrie@cox-internet.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2001
        WElCOME HEATHER

        its not a very active forum but I think all here are willing to help,
        I sure enjoyed your story, it sounded just like mine when I was 13,
        really just like it.

        Garrie
        in Louisiana
        Garrie
      • Heather Bays
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 7, 2001

          well, for not being that active, that was a really quick response, THANKS!  I haven't really found very many people with this unique interest as me, but its good to know that there are others out there who like taxidermy as much as me!!!

          Thanks for the welcome, take care Garrie,

          heather :)

            garrie@... wrote:

          WElCOME HEATHER

          its not a very active forum but I think all here are willing to help,
          I sure enjoyed your story, it sounded just like mine when I was 13,
          really just like it.

          Garrie
          in Louisiana
          Garrie

          taxidermy@onelist.com -- The Taxidermist Listserv

          Do You Yahoo!?
          Find a job, post your resume on Yahoo! Careers.