Hello everyone!

  • baysh@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2001
      WOW! I didn't realize that there was a taxidermy group on the web!!
      Here is a (long) background of me:
      Around the age of 13, the idea of taxidermy (to make a live rendition
      of animal after it is dead) sucked me in its clutches, never to
      release me (thank goodness.) But unfortunetly, not many people where
      I live know much about it, so for over 7yrs I've been teaching myself
      through research in books (the library is a truly resourcful place),
      talking to a taxidermist, tanning skins through trial and error (lots
      of error, but i've learned losts :), and just these past couple of
      years I've been able to get a hold of a few good specimens to do full
      body mounts, nothing big, just like raccoon size and such. Luckly
      though, to the disgust of my entire family, they've been real
      supportive in helping me out in my quest to learn all I can to one
      day be a full time taxidermist(hopefully.) So, when anyone I know
      sees a dead animal, I usually get a phone call or a "suprise bag"
      when I come home on the weekends. In my senior year of high school,
      a colomnist wrote an article about me and took pictures of
      my "portfolio". That weekend I got a phone call from a neighbor who
      lived down the hill from me, saying that someone had dumped an elk
      hide (head and all) on their property (but because I didn't know if I
      could legally take it, because it was a raw hide and there was a
      suspecion that it could have been poached, I didn't take it. shucks!)
      I'm in college right now, but my desire is to go to a taxidermy
      school and learn all of the in-and-outs of the art. I would love to
      hear from someone already in the business and what its like, that
      would be great!! And if anyone has any suggestions on how to soften
      an elk hide and what household item could be used to degreese a
      raccoon skin that would be wonderful!! Also, someone mentioned
      earlier about taxiderming a mouse, i've got a full skin, what would
      you use to make the body for it? (I've got clay and plaster of paris)
      Good luck to everyone!
      heather