Taxidermy

  • mimetite@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 29, 2001
      I thought this sounded like an interesting group; so I joined.
      Lately we've had a problem with the rodent population around the
      house. I probably should have saved a couple for my new hobby.

      Maggie
    • Melanie Johnson
      Message 2 of 9 , May 30, 2001

        It is a great hobby! ...and it can be very educational too. Learning how creature looks in intimate detail, and how their bodies function - joints, muscles, etc - is a tremendous insight into the nature of the animal itself! It is also a magnificent form of artwork, when one approaches it with that attitude! If you are really interested, there are many regional, state, national, and even international associations for taxidermist. Members cover the gamut from those like yourself who have an interest but have never tried it, through hobbyists, all the way to national champion artisans! You can find many of them on the internet, too. Our association, the Tennessee Taxidermy Association, is online at http://www.tntaxidermy.org Although my personal computer has been down for several months now (don't they always go when your budget can't bail you out!), I usually try to keep the site up to date with newsletters etc. You can also look at http://www.taxidermy.net for a relative clearinghouse of suppliers, associations, and listings of competitions and classes held throughout the country! Enjoy! It is fascinating, regardless of the level of your interest!

        Cordially,  Melanie Johnson, Sec/Treas TN Taxidermy Assoc

      • Mime_Chat@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 9 , May 30, 2001
          Hi Maggie,
          Better rodents then the bear that I am over run with.

          Mime Chat
        • Mime_Chat@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 9 , May 30, 2001
            Melanie,
            Very interesting websites, thanks for the addys. How long have you
            been stuffing critters?

            Mime
          • Maggie
            Message 5 of 9 , May 30, 2001
              Wow Melanie. It sounds like there are many hours of
              happy stuffing to be had :o) Thank you for the links.
              What was your favorite work?

              Maggie

              --- Melanie Johnson <melanie1@...> wrote:

              <HR>
              <P>It is a great hobby! ...and it can be very
              educational too. Learning how creature looks in
              intimate detail, and how their bodies function -
              joints, muscles, etc - is a tremendous insight into
              the nature of the animal itself! It is also a
              magnificent form of artwork, when one approaches it
              with that attitude! If you are really interested,
              there are many regional, state, national, and even
              international associations for taxidermist. Members
              cover the gamut from those like yourself who have an
              interest but have never tried it, through hobbyists,
              all the way to national champion artisans! You can
              find many of them on the internet, too. Our
              association, the Tennessee Taxidermy Association, is
              online at <A
              href="http://www.tntaxidermy.org">http://www.tntaxidermy.org</A>
              Although my personal computer has been down for
              several months now (don't they always go when your
              budget can't bail you out!), I usually try to keep the
              site up to date with newsletters etc. You can also
              look at <A
              href="http://www.taxidermy.net">http://www.taxidermy.net</A>
              for a relative clearinghouse of suppliers,
              associations, and listings of competitions and classes
              held throughout the country! Enjoy! It is fascinating,
              regardless of the level of your interest!</P>
              <P>Cordially,  Melanie Johnson, Sec/Treas TN
              Taxidermy Assoc<BR><BR></P></DIV>

              =====
              "hvor kragerne vender"- confuse your friends...

              a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • Maggie
              Message 6 of 9 , May 30, 2001
                I suppose you could be right about this Mime. Bears
                tend to get more resentful than the rodents do.

                Maggie

                --- Mime_Chat@... wrote:
                > Hi Maggie,
                > Better rodents then the bear that I am over run
                > with.
                >
                > Mime Chat

                =====
                "hvor kragerne vender"- confuse your friends...

                Message 7 of 9 , May 30, 2001
                  Maggie,
                  I doubt that the bears would stand still while I stuffed them.

                  Mime
                • Maggie
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 30, 2001
                    Heehee No, I don't think they would Mime. :o)

                    Maggie

                    =====

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 31, 2001

                      hmmm, my favorite thing to do was always anything that was a custom piece. I really enjoy the extra challenge of starting with nothing but the speciman and creating my own forms - you can do much more interesting and realistic pieces that way! Once, I was given a family of skunks that had been 'euthanized' because they set up housekeeping under a back stoop in the city (eek!). So I created a story with the mother skunk and two of the babies - it was wonderful fun!