New Book Review for beginners

  • Patsy A. Goodman
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2006
      Hi everyone,

      Spent the day at the Freeway Lace Guild's Lace Day in Torrance, CA,
      yesterday. A couple of my Red Hat Lacers & I went up together, dressed in
      our Red Hat regalia, me in my Queen's crown, and we had a ball.

      I was told I was doing too much talking and not enough spending. LOL

      While there I acquired a new book from Pete Alderson of Snowgoose. The
      title was "Shuttle Tatting Without a Teacher". It's a nice small size book.
      Easy to carry in a purse or tote bag. I spent most of today reading it then
      getting out my thread and shuttle and going through each step as described
      and diagramed. There were a couple spots where I thought that's not right
      or that's not how I do it, BUT, I didn't read far enough. Jumping to
      conclusions is what I do best. Like in the beginning you are told how to
      make the double stitch using two colors of thread. When you first read it,
      the more experienced would say - you can't close the ring that way. BUT
      you didn't read far enough. The explanation is not really how to make a
      ring, it's how to do the stitch and hold the thread "like" a ring. Once you
      have learned to make the stitch then you cut this off and proceed to make
      the ring properly. Also making the chain. Then there's the part about doing
      the joining and you are shown the two ways for doing them, how to make a
      motif and do the end join. How to hide your ends. A very good book for a
      beginner to learn from. So much better than all those older learn how
      books.

      Each step is very detailed with written instructions and diagrams. Nothing
      is skipped.

      I highly recommend this book, especially to all those that write to the
      lists saying they are having trouble learning to shuttle tat. And as a new
      teacher, myself, this will be a great help in my trying to teach some new
      students.

      The manuscript was in the process, by Betty Alderson, before she passed
      away. Now Pete Alderson and Mary Maynard have compiled and edited it into
      this wonderful book.

      Pete had it for sale at the Lace Day and I'm sure if you go to his web site
      for Snowgoose, it'll be there. His web address is:

      www.snowgoose.cc

      Red Hats off to Tatting
      Patsy A. Goodman
      Chula Vista, CA, USA
      TatPat1, NATA #333
      AKA - Queen Tat Pat of the Red Hat Lacers