MUSLIM FASHION, KAZAN (MIDEAST1)

  • Saguit KHAIROULLINE
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2005
      MIDEAST1-SEP05-RUSSIA-MUSLIM FASHION \ MIDEAST1-SEP05-RUSSIA-MUSLIM FASHION:
      MIDEAST1-SEP05-RUSSIA-MUSLIM FASHION

      MIDEAST1: STORY M101

      MUSLIM FASHION
      KAZAN, TATARSTAN, RUSSIA

      INTRO: Tatar women turn to more traditional and Islamic
      style of dress in Russia s predominantly Muslim republic.

      DINA YARULLINA, CUSTOMER OF
      "ALTYNAI" SALON OF MUSLIM WEAR, SAYING:
      "When girls are walking around wearing revealing
      clothes, they attract men s attention. Clothes had been
      created not to attract attention but to protect us from the
      environment - from the cold when its cold and from the sun
      when its hot. The girls wearing revealing clothes serve as
      a sexual objects and attract men s attention while I feel
      protected dressed like this (in long overcoat and
      headscarf)."
      GULNARA KADYROVA, DESIGNER AT
      "ALTYNAI" SALON OF FASHIONABLE MUSLIM WEAR, SAYING:
      "Costume, and clothing has always been influenced by
      history and tradition; the clothes worn by Muslims from
      Arab countries and Turkey were different from the clothes
      worn by our Tatarstan Muslims. The main difference was that
      clothes for our Muslim women, of Kazan, never completely
      covered them. And also there was a big difference between
      clothes worn by young girls, younger women and older women."

      STORY: Islamic values are seeing a revival in Tatarstan,
      one of Russia s predominantly Muslim republics; more people
      are practising their faith and Tatar women have taken to
      wearing clothes that conform to the Islamic dress code or Hejab.
      But on a warm summer s evening in the centre of Kazan,
      capital of Tatarstan, it can be hard to be convinced that
      Islam, albeit a more tolerant version of the faith, is
      making a comeback.
      In streets lined up with cafes and bars, young people
      have gathered to enjoy an evening out; the young women are
      dressed in the latest Western fashions - mini-skirts, high
      heels and short tops.
      Several well-known Western fashion outlets, selling
      clothes for women, have stores in Kazan, but today they
      face renewed competition from local outlets that have
      opened their doors to customers wanting to buy fashionable
      but more traditional clothes that conform to the Islamic
      dress code.
      A few hundred metres away from a "Mango" outlet in
      central Kazan, a modest poster depicts women in Islamic
      style long shirts and headscarves. The poster advertises
      the "Muslima" store, one of several stores selling clothes
      for Muslim women, recently opened in Kazan.
      Many of these stores sell clothes for women imported
      from Arab countries and Turkey.
      At the salon "Altynai" designer Gulnara Kadyrova shows
      a customer her latest designs for wedding dresses.
      "When girls are walking around open, they attract men s
      attention. Clothes had been created not to attract
      attention but to protect us from the environment - from the
      cold when its cold and from the sun when its hot. Girls
      wearing revealing clothes serve as sexual objects and
      attract men s attention while I feel protected wearing
      clothes like this (long overcoat and head scarf)," sais
      Dina Yarullina, a medical student and a regular customer at
      the "Altynai" salon.
      Kadyrova says her clothes offer new designs based on
      traditional clothes worn by Tatar Muslim women.
      "Costumes, and clothing has always been influenced by
      history and tradition; the clothes worn by Muslims from
      Arab countries and Turkey was different from the clothes
      worn by our Tatarstan Muslims. The main difference was that
      clothes for our Muslim women, of Kazan, never completely
      covered them. And also there was a big difference between
      clothes worn by young girls, younger women and older
      women," said Kadyrova.
      She expects her business to grow now that Islam has
      become more visible in Tatar life. Of the republic s 3.7
      million people, some 52 percent are Muslims.