[tatar-l] Re: cultural awareness for Tatar adoptive child

  • LiliaArout@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 1999
      Sabirzyan!

      Did you receive my last E-mail???

      I am surprised you did make a sound towards me since that letter.

      I E-mailed it on Wednesday, I think.

      Lilia
    • LiliaArout@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 1999
        Oops!

        I am sorry for my previous E-mail. It meant to be sent only to Sabirzyan!

        Lilia
      • LiliaArout@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 1999
          Hi, Leslie!

          It is so nice to hear about your adopted baby! I am sure your child is
          adorable and smart! I felt excited when I read your letter. I agree with
          Azat, your son most likely is a Sibir Tatar or Volga Tatar kid.

          Volga Tatar, by the way could be either Kazanlite, Mishar, Penza or Kasimov,
          etc. We have so many groups according to different region. Usually the only
          difference is slight language nuances and maybe, facial fearures. Tatar
          Language has many dialects, but we all understand each other, of course. All
          turkic languages are similar, Yakuts can understand Balkars, obviously within
          one language we don't have a problem. However, I am sure, you aren't about
          to teach your son Tatar at the moment.

          Facial features, however, aren't always the best way to tell the Tatar
          sub-group. If your son is a brunet (very black hair), asian eyes or eyelids
          have some cris this can be only indicative of late metisation, by itself it
          does not say that he is a Sibir Tatar .
          However, if you baby is blue-eyed, blond kid (like Azat :) you may think that
          his origin is Volga river, Volga region woods:), where Mongoloids didn't step
          foot:) . Also, your kid can have European , beautiful hazelnut eyes and
          black hair (like Sabirzyan)--most likely Kazanlite! Well, I am not an
          expert, but don't rely very much on Rorlich book either, it is outdated.

          Leslie, I know many Tatars in New York area. If you are interested, please
          E-mail me. I also have some books which may help you to raise your son!

          Sincerely,

          Lilia