Re: [tatar-l] I need your help!

  • SabirjanB@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 16, 2003
      Dear Asiya,

      I would suggest the following:

      1.  Put an ad in a local newspaper asking Tatars or anyone who knows Tatars to contact you either by e-mail or by phone. You might consider putting such an ad in a local Russian-language newspaper as well because recent Tatar immigrants often read Russian-language press. Be sure to specify that you are looking for Volga Tatars, not for Crimean Tatars, if that's important for you.

      2.  Consider posting an ad (like the one you sent to Tatar-L) in Internet forums for Muslims, as well as for immigrants in the country you are going to visit.

      3.  Do a search on one of the search engines (such as Google.com) by typing the name of the country or city you are going to visit and the word "Tatar" or "Tatars".

      4. Go to a local library and ask a librarian to help you find any information about local Tatars or Tatar community.

      5.  If you are going to Russia, ask for directions to the nearest mosque.  Most mosques in Russia are run and attended by Tatars (except for mosques in the Caucasus).

      I hope you will find these suggestions helpful.

      Sabirjan Badretdin

      In a message dated 7/15/2003 10:24:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time, asiya23455@... writes:

      Salam Everybody
      I need your help.  Could anyone tell me what to do in this
      situation:  you come somewhere (for example in some city) and you of
      course want to see tatars there, talk to them and visit different
      concerts.  So how do you know where the community is?  How can you
      find out where they meet and where they hang out?  Any ideas.  I am
      just going abroad for a long time and would love to get any ideas or
      advice.
                   Thank you in advance
                          Your Asiya