[tatar-l] Re: Tatar loans in English

  • Aidar Galeev
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 9, 1999
      A question for Mr. Irek Bikkinin:

      How many Tatar loan words are there in the Russian language? I know that the
      following words in Russian are of Tatar origin:

      karandash (pencil - from the words "kara tash"), bashka (head), balyk
      (fish), dengi (money), baraban (drums), bashmak (slipper), luk (bow), brevno
      (log) tovarisch (comrade - from the words "tauar ishe"), kibitka (coach -
      from the word "kibet"), kolbasa (sausage - from the words "kul basa"),
      doroga (way, path), mayak (lighthouse - from the words "mai yak"), as well
      as chugun, borozda, salaga and many others.

      It seems to me that the word "shakhmati" (chess) could have originated from
      the tatar word "shakmak" (square).

      I'd appreciate your comments.

      Aidar Galeev

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/tatar-l
    • trh
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 1999
        If may interject, what is the root for "luk"? "l" sound is not used in
        most Turkish dialects... (In Anatolian Turkish "lemon" is sometimes
        pronounced as "ilimon".)

        "shakhmat" is probably originally from Farsi "shah mat". I believe "chess"
        has a similar etymology along with the word "check".

        I also heard from a Kazakh lasy that the word "orman" is used in Russian.

        Saygilar/Regards,

        Ahmet Toprak
        ---
        Director, Turkish Radio Hour
        San Francisco Bay Area, USA
        trh@... (If message bounces please try turkradio@...)
        Today's pick: Turkish Travel Articles: http://www.angelfire.com/in/turkey/
        ---

        On Sat, 10 Jul 1999, Aidar Galeev wrote:

        > A question for Mr. Irek Bikkinin:
        >
        > How many Tatar loan words are there in the Russian language? I know that the
        > following words in Russian are of Tatar origin:
        >
        > karandash (pencil - from the words "kara tash"), bashka (head), balyk
        > (fish), dengi (money), baraban (drums), bashmak (slipper), luk (bow), brevno
        > (log) tovarisch (comrade - from the words "tauar ishe"), kibitka (coach -
        > from the word "kibet"), kolbasa (sausage - from the words "kul basa"),
        > doroga (way, path), mayak (lighthouse - from the words "mai yak"), as well
        > as chugun, borozda, salaga and many others.
        >
        > It seems to me that the word "shakhmati" (chess) could have originated from
        > the tatar word "shakmak" (square).
        >
        > I'd appreciate your comments.
        >
        > Aidar Galeev

        > Scream your mind
        > Be as loud as you want at FortuneCity.com
        > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/366
        >

        > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/tatar-l

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/tatar-l
      • Rashid Khairoulin
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10, 1999
          Aidar.

          The word 'shakhmaty' comes from the Arabic, the meaning - the king is dead.

          With regards,

          Rashid Khairoulin

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 10, 1999
            From: trh <trh@...>

            >If I may interject, what is the root for "luk"? "l" sound is not used in
            >most Turkish dialects...

            The Tatar word is "uk" For example, "ukche" means "an archer." The letter
            "L" seems to have been added by the Russians.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 10, 1999
              Thanks for the explanation.

              That would be "ok" ("arrow") and "okchu" in Istanbul Turkish, and "yay" is
              a "bow"... "Okchuluk" is "archery".