[tatar-l] Re: On Burning Ground: A Son's Memoir

  • Saide Haci
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 1999
      Saide is on vacation right now!!!!!

      >>> <Sabirzyan@...> 07/08 10:27 PM >>>
      mskakun@...

      July 7, 1999

      Sabirzyan Badertinov
      New York, NY

      Dear Mr. Badertinov:

      It was a pleasure to speak to you yesterday at the recommendation of Arye
      Barkai.

      As I mentioned, St. Martin's Press has just published On Burning Ground: A
      Son's Memoir, a narrative charting the harrowing experience of my father, an
      Eastern European rabbinical student, who at the height of World War II
      adopted multiple false religious and ethnic identities, each increasingly
      perilous and complex, culminating in his eventual entry as a recruit into the
      notorious SS in Nazi Germany.

      My father first posed as a Catholic and then as a Polish Tatar, learning
      their folkways and religious customs, which enabled him to make his way
      through the iron web. I have sought to approach my father's dark night of the
      soul and the consequent moral and existential challenges the young divinity
      student faced, as well as his newfound hope, first in postwar Paris where he
      returns to a semblance of normality, and then in New York, where he has
      resided for the better part of four decades.

      St. Martin's generous catalogue copy says "On Burning Ground is a tour de
      force - a harrowing and brilliant debut by a virtuoso American writer that
      echoies in language and sensibility the books of Primo Levi and Victor
      Frankl." The lead forecast review the book received in Publishers Weekly
      reads "Distinguished both by outstanding writing and a profound sense of
      moral complexity, this son's memoir of his father's incredible survival
      stands out among Holocaust memoirs." Friends have informed me that
      amazon.com has given the memoir, which is now in local bookstores as well, a
      positive review. Last week or so the Washington Post book review called my
      father's story, "A Tale of a Holocaust Houdini."

      I am reading from On Burning Ground at Barnes and Noble on Monday, July l9
      (Broadway and 82nd St.) at 7:30 P.M. If you should be in New York on that
      date, it would be heartening to have you attend.

      I should add that this book has been bought by a Finnish publisher and is to
      be issued in Helsinki as soon as it is translated. Kindly pass news of my
      just published book to the worldwide Tatar network.

      Thank you indeed for your help and consideration.

      Sincerely yours,
      Michael Skakun

      eGroups Spotlight:
      "Men's Studies Discussion" - An intelligent and
      informal discussion of men's issues and men's studies.
      http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/116

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/tatar-l

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/tatar-l