Re: [tatar-l] Claudia's suggestion

  • Claudia Kittel
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2003

      How would I do that?  Is there a way that I can contact this photographer?

      I had been led to believe that when the Iron Curtain went down in 1989, that things were getting better for these people.

      So now I'm thinking that we were all led to think that way, and it is not true.

      Give me an address or a phone number, and I will see what I can do.  I work for a college in California, and maybe we can start from there.

      Claudia

       SabirzyanB@... wrote:

      In a message dated 3/31/2003 2:44:36 PM Eastern Standard Time, cclaudia92399@... writes:

      I am wondering whether the population would benefit from some of the health products that we have available here in the United States.

      Dear Claudia,
      I am sure that Tatar villagers, who are being used by the Russian government as guinea pigs for radiation-related experiments, could greatly benefit from Western health products.  However, the Russian authorities make it extremely difficult for foreigners to contact the victims of the nuclear accident that took place in 1957 in Chelyabinsk region.  Westerners trying to help these unfortunate people are viewed with suspicion by local and federal authorities.  In any case, most people in the West are not even aware of this humanitarian disaster, partly because most of the world's attention is focused on Chernobyl.  One way in which we all can help the victims of the nuclear disaster is to raise the awareness of the international community about it and try to lift the veil of secrecy behind which these poor people are still being victimized.  Robert Knot, a Dutch photograph, is currently exibiting in  Kazan his photos of the victims of the Chelyabinsk disaster.  It would be great if someone could help him arrange a similar exibition in Western Europe or the US.

      Sabirzyan Badretdin

      Message from Tatar-L@egroups.com
      For membership and other information go to the
      home page: http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/tatar-l

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Amil Nur
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2003
        Thank Klaudia and Sabirdjan! Photos of Knot are here again...
        http://www.mdf.ru/exhibitions/moscow/halflife/
        Concerning the author, it is possible it(he) it is borrowed(occupied). But
        there are in Russia people which organize his(its) exhibitions. Such already
        has passed in Sweden. They from same village. I now search for
        communication(connection) with them. I shall answer as I can. Yours
        faithfully Almil Nur...

        Translate from:
        http://translate.lycos.ru/index.php