[tatar-l] Tatar-Inform

  • Aidar Galeev
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 1999
      Does anyone know if the Tatar-Inform news agency has its own website? I saw
      some news items from Tatar-Inform posted on www.tatar.ru website but most of
      them are too old.

      In my view, it is very important for Tatarstan to be able to spread news and
      information about itself all over the world. Otherwise the news from
      Tatarstan will come from some other source, such as Itar-Tass, which never
      writes good things about ethnic minorities in Russia. Itar-Tass has its own
      website visited daily by thousands of people.

      When I read Western news reports about Chechnya, I always notice that
      Western media constantly quotes Itar-Tass. As we know, the Russian news
      agency's point of view on this matter is very one-sided. Itar-Tass always
      describes Chechens as terrorists and religious fanatics. Unfortunately,
      Western media sometimes fooloshly repeats this lie.

      This happens because many people in America and Western Europe think that
      Itar-Tass is similar to Western news agencies. They assume that the Russian
      news agency's work is based on professional ethics rather than on
      self-serving political considerations. They assume that Itar-Tass would
      never stoop to spreading deliberate disinformation. But it does just that,
      using the principle "tell the truth about unimportant things but lie about
      things that matter."

      I have two more questions: 1. Does the Antolian News Agency have its own
      website? 2. Do our Crimean Tatar brothers and sisters intend to create their
      own news service?

      Aidar Galeev

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/tatar-l
    • Onur Senarslan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 1999
        Dear Aidar Galeev,

        Here are the addresses:
        Anadolu Ajansi(Anatolian News Agency)
        http://www.anadoluajansi.gov.tr
        As far as I know there is no attempt to create a Crimean News Agency, if
        there is such thing, I'll be the first to volunteer.
        There is a Tatar descent (from Kazan I believe)lady in New York, producing
        a TV program, her name is Aliye Ak, and the program called Voice of
        Anatolia, I worked with her for a while editing and announcing Turkish
        news. It is not a farfetched idea at all, all it takes is a few dedicated
        people, program is public and there is no cost. Web pages are the same way,
        it's all about time.
        I am willing to help as much as I can.

        Thank you for thoughtful insight and your contribution to Tatar cause.

        Here are some Crimean links:
        Emel- http://www.euronet.nl/users/sota/emel.htm
        http://www.euronet.nl/users/sota/krimtatar.html
        http://members.xoom.com/iccrimea/ngosframe.html

        At 01:14 AM 6/16/99 EDT, Aidar Galeev wrote:
        >Does anyone know if the Tatar-Inform news agency has its own website? I saw
        >some news items from Tatar-Inform posted on www.tatar.ru website but most of
        >them are too old.
        >
        >In my view, it is very important for Tatarstan to be able to spread news and
        >information about itself all over the world. Otherwise the news from
        >Tatarstan will come from some other source, such as Itar-Tass, which never
        >writes good things about ethnic minorities in Russia. Itar-Tass has its own
        >website visited daily by thousands of people.
        >
        >When I read Western news reports about Chechnya, I always notice that
        >Western media constantly quotes Itar-Tass. As we know, the Russian news
        >agency's point of view on this matter is very one-sided. Itar-Tass always
        >describes Chechens as terrorists and religious fanatics. Unfortunately,
        >Western media sometimes fooloshly repeats this lie.
        >
        >This happens because many people in America and Western Europe think that
        >Itar-Tass is similar to Western news agencies. They assume that the Russian
        >news agency's work is based on professional ethics rather than on
        >self-serving political considerations. They assume that Itar-Tass would
        >never stoop to spreading deliberate disinformation. But it does just that,
        >using the principle "tell the truth about unimportant things but lie about
        >things that matter."
        >
        >I have two more questions: 1. Does the Antolian News Agency have its own
        >website? 2. Do our Crimean Tatar brothers and sisters intend to create their
        >own news service?
        >
        >Aidar Galeev

        >SIGN UP NOW FOR FREE HOME IMPROVEMENT HOW-TO'S
        >Receive seasonal how-to's and climate-specific advice via e-mail.
        >http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/131
        >

        >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/tatar-l

        Onur Senarslan

        The University of Arizona
        Critical Languages Program
        http://www.coh.arizona.edu/crit_lang
        http://www.u.arizona.edu/~onur

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 17, 1999
          In my previous message I forgot to mention the Tatar-Bashkir Service of
          Radio Liberty. It has its own website which includes daily news. The URL is:
          http://www.rferl.org

          Unfortunately, the Tatar Service of Radio Liberty has lost its prestige and
          credibility because it turned into a mouthpiece of President Shaimiev. It is
          impossible to distinguish between an official government radio station in
          Kazan and Radio Liberty's Tatar Service. The radio is always criticised by
          Milli Mejlis and Ittifaq, who regard it as a pro-Shaimiev propaganda
          machine.

          I am surprised that the US government doesn't interfere into its activities.
          A US-sponsored radio station is supposed to be independent of Tatarstan's
          government and sometimes even critical of it. The radio is supposed to
          reflect the whole range of opinion, including the opinion of the Tatar
          opposition.

          Someone should probably write a letter to the US Congress asking it to fire
          the Director of the Tatar-Bashkir Service and to appoint someone who is not
          a close friend of Shaimiev.