FW: [tatar-l] response to Helen and Terken

  • Marat Devlet-Kildeyev
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2002
      What's wrong with mini-skirts?..

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Helen Faller [mailto:hmfaller@...]
      Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 10:24 PM
      To: tatar-l@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [tatar-l] response to Helen and Terken

      A brief response from me.

      I very much appreciated your insights, Mahmoud. They were most interesting.

      All the same, I didn't imply, and certainly didn't mean to if I seemed to,
      that all Tatar girls run around in mini-skirts. Moreover, I would never
      even entertain the thought that the same customs for acceptable dress hold
      true in the Republic of Turkey, or anywhere else for that matter. My own
      experience has shown me that skirts of "normal length" in Tatarstan are
      scandalously short in parts of Turkey. And, indeed, these skirts are normal
      for walking down Bauman Street, but I wouldn't interview Fauzia Bayramova
      in one. That is, I agree, how propriety is interpreted is differently
      inflected depending upon a number of circumstances, location being just one
      of them.

      What I would like to assert, however, is that in interviews with some urban
      Tatar adolescents, as well as over the course of more than a year of
      observation of them, wearing short skirts in no way impedes their piety.
      Anglashylamy?

      Isen-sau,

      Helen

      --On Thursday, March 07, 2002 12:46 PM -0600 Mahmoud Mohamand