Shaimiev to seek 3d term in office

  • Sabirzyan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2001
      PRESIDENT TO SEEK THIRD TERM. Following quickly on the
      heels of the State Duma's approval of a law allowing
      some regional leaders a third and in some cases even a
      fourth term (see item above), Tatarstan President
      Mintimer Shaimiev announced on 26 January that he will
      seek re-election. According to RFE/RL's Kazan bureau on
      30 January, Shaimiev is the only candidate so far to
      submit his application to the local election commission
      in both Russian and Tatar. He must now collect 50,000
      signatures. Shaimiev is the 17th candidate to declare
      his candidacy in the race so far, according to Interfax-
      Eurasia. Shaimiev already leads his rival candidates
      with 86 percent of voters saying they trust or
      completely trust him, Efir TV channel reported on 28
      January, according to RFE/RL's Kazan bureau. State Duma
      Chairman (Communist) Gennadii Seleznev was critical of
      Shaimiev's decision to seek re-election, telling RIA-
      Novosti on 29 January that "some regional leaders want
      to rule for life." At the same time, Seleznev said that
      he does not see an alternative to Shaimiev, adding that
      "it is very bad when someone becomes irreplaceable." JAC

      Source: RFE/RL Russian Federation report No. 5, January 31, 2001
    • Reshat Sabiq
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2001
        Selam,

        My arcastic evaluation is:
        putin used threat of non-relaection law, and Shaimiyev
        had to give up economic sovereignty. Sounds like a
        good deal, but Tatar nation is hanging in the air.

        Reshat.

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/