[tatar-l] TATAR

  • Almaz Sharipov
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 1999
      Selem!

      How should I pronounce the word TATAR in spoken English and French?
      And why in my dictionary this word is presented as TARTAR?
      Is there some difference between them?

      Almaz

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/tatar-l
    • SabirzyanB@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 1999
        In a message dated 99-03-01 11:57:41 EST, Almaz Sharipov wrote:

        << How should I pronounce the word TATAR in spoken English and French?
        And why in my dictionary this word is presented as TARTAR?
        Is there some difference between them?

        I think most people use the word TATAR to refer to modern Kazan Tatars and
        Crimean Tatars.

        As to TARTAR, it is generally used to refer to the ancient people known as
        cruel and bloodthirsty conquerors of Asia and Eastern Europe. The word
        TARTAR has many negative connotations: In Latin, the word TARTARUS means
        HELL. In ancient Europe these two words, Tartar and Tartarus, were
        inextricably connected in peoples' minds. I also remember reading that in
        ancient Chinese the word "tar-tar" meant " a barbarian."

        According to my American Heritage dictionary, the word Tartar has two meanings
        (both of them negative): 1. A hard, yellowish deposit on the teeth commonly
        known as plaque. (If you have a tube of Crest toothpaste, you might see an
        inscription on it, saying: "Fight Tartar with Crest") 2. A ferocious or
        violent-tempered person.

        There is also an expression "To catch a Tartar", which means "to grapple with
        an unexpectedly formidable opponent."

        To put it in a nutshell, TATAR should be used for modern times, and TARTAR
        should be used for ancient times.

        Sabirzyan Badretdinov

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/tatar-l
      • Ihsan Yokus
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 1999

          > I think most people use the word TATAR to refer to modern Kazan Tatars and
          > Crimean Tatars.

          That's right.

          > As to TARTAR, it is generally used to refer to the ancient people known as
          > cruel and bloodthirsty conquerors of Asia and Eastern Europe.

          Isn't it obvious and understandable that losers tend to offend and
          attack their victorious enemies verbally.
          The bad stories that Chinese or Europeans tell about our ancestors
          shouldn't bother us so much.
          Let's be proud of our history.Our ancestors founded the greatest empire
          worls has ever seen (unless you feel yourself more as Bulgar than Tatar)
          The old Tatars were mighty and powerful.
          I hope our time will come again.

          The second R in the middle of the word comes obviously from the Greek
          word Tartarus.

          Selamlar,hurmetler
          Ihsan Y.

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/tatar-l