Re: [tatar-l] Roksonaki & March 8

  • Liliya Karimova
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 8, 2008
      Thank you, Uli!

      <http://mosaiqarecordstour.blogspot.com/>http://mosaiqarecordstour.blogspot.com/.

      > The other thing is that today is indeed
      > International Women's Day. Most
      > people who have grown up in the US have no idea that
      > such a holiday even
      > exists, but I have offended enough women visitors
      > from the ex-USSR and
      > even Turkey (by not even congratulating them, since
      > they are used to
      > getting flowers back home!) that I try to remember
      > to send at least
      > greetings to my current visitors and now my
      > daughter, too. :)
      >
      > best,
      >
      > ULI [yulay]
      >

      > Uli Schamiloglu
      > chair
      > Central Asian Studies Program (CASP)
      >
      > Professor of Turkic & Central Eurasian Studies
      > Department of Languages and Cultures of Asia
      > 1254 Van Hise, 1220 Linden Drive
      > Madison, WI 53706 USA
      > tel. 1-608-262-7141 (office), 1-608-262-3012
      > (department), 1-608-265-3538 (fax)
      > Email: uschamil@...
      > LCA website: lca.wisc.edu

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    • Jeannine Bidwell
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 8, 2008
        Hello,

        My daughter is adopted from Kazakhstan.  The information that I was given about her birth family is that her mother was Tatar and her father is Russian.  Are there many Tatars living in Kazakhstan?  Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

        Jeannine

      • Helen Faller
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 9, 2008
          Dear Liliya, Uli ham bashkalar,

          Thanks for your messages! The tour has started out fantastically - today we do a concert at Asia Society in NYC. Koz timesin. Happy past Int'l Women's Day to all!

          Thank you for your support.

          Aman bolygyz,

          Helen

          On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Uli Schamiloglu <uschamil@...> wrote:

          Hi all,

          Actually I'm glad that Liliya posted that personal message. It is a chance to enourage our Tatar friends to learn more about Central Asian music! (Kazakhs are particularly close to Tatars in many aspects of their culture and especially my Kazakh friends have a tremendous interest in Tatar music.) In fact, let me invite all of you to the concert by Roksonaki that we are hosting here at the University of Wisconsin!

          March 26
          Concert
          Great Hall
          Memorial Union
          800 Langdon St.
          University of Wisconsin
          Madison, WI
          7 pm
          Free!

          From one of Helen Faller's messages to me:

[...]

          LCA website:  lca.wisc.edu

        • Uli Schamiloglu
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 9, 2008
            Hi all,

            I just heard today from my colleagues of the passing of Prof. BERTA
            Arpad of the Dept. of Altaistics (Jozsef Attila Tudomanyegyetem, Szeged,
            Hungary).

            http://www.alt.u-szeged.hu/hun/munkatarsak/oktatok/berta_arpad

            I became very close friends with Arpad when I was a visiting scholar at the
            Dept. of Altaistics at the Attila Jozsef University in Szeged in 1982 while
            studying under Prof. Andras Rona-Tas.

            Simply put: Arpad was probably the most important student of Tatar
            linguistics in the 20th century. He worked on Balint Gabor's (Kasimov)
            Tatar materials. He worked on Tatar dialectology and loanwords. He was the
            best. (The link above allows you to access his list of publications.)

            Tufragi cingel bulsin, cani ocmakta bulsin!

            Uli Schamiloglu
            Professor of Turkic & Central Eurasian Studies
            Department of Languages and Cultures of Asia
            1254 Van Hise, 1220 Linden Drive
            Madison, WI 53706 USA
            tel. 1-608-262-7141 (office), 1-608-262-3012 (department), 1-608-265-3538 (fax)
            Email: uschamil@...
            LCA website: <http://lca.wisc.edu/>lca.wisc.edu
          • Amil Nur
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 20, 2008