(RL) LEADING MUFTI CALLS FOR AN END TO XENOPHOBIA

  • Uli Schamiloglu
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hi all,

      Many of you have commented on this case....

      RADIO FREE EUROPE/RADIO LIBERTY, PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC
      RFE/RL NEWSLINE Vol. 11, No. 140, Part I, 1 August 2007

      LEADING MUFTI CALLS FOR AN END TO XENOPHOBIA. The chairman of the Council
      of Muftis of Russia, Ravil Gainutdin, told RFE/RL's Tatar-Bashkir Service
      by phone from Moscow on July 31 that the authorities must stop xenophobia
      against people in Russia who are not ethnic Russians. He spoke after
      meeting with the mother of Damir Zainullin, a 23-year-old Tatar student
      killed recently by Russian nationalists in St. Petersburg. The mufti told
      RFE/RL that "today we appealed to the president, the interior minister, the
      prosecutor-general, and St. Petersburg Governor [Valentina] Matviyenko. By
      doing this, we express our deepest concern not only about this happening in
      St. Petersburg, but the dangerous ideology spreading not only in St.
      Petersburg, but in all of Russia." "Why should we, Muslims, non-Russians,
      be afraid of sending our children out to schools, universities?" he added.
      "Why don't our president and prosecutor-general protect every citizen's
      right to life guaranteed by the constitution? They should protect and
      secure our lives." Gainutdin also asked: "Why do the children of a nation
      that fought against fascism and defeated it become fascists? Why is there
      an ideology [claiming] that non-Russians are not people, that they
      shouldn't live on our land, in our country? And they slaughter our
      children." He warned that "the sparks of worsening relations and people
      killing each other may erupt into a blazing inferno." In St. Petersburg on
      July 31, a jury found seven people, including three minors, guilty of the
      November 2005 slaying of Timur Kacharava, a 20-year-old campaigner against
      hate crimes, RFE/RL's Russian Service reported (see "RFE/RL Newsline,"
      December 16, 2005). PM

      Uli Schamiloglu
      Professor of Turkic & Central Eurasian Studies
      Department of Languages and Cultures of Asia
      1254 Van Hise, 1220 Linden Drive
      Madison, WI 53706 USA
      tel. 1-608-262-7141 (office), 1-608-262-3012 (department), 1-608-265-3538 (fax)
      Email: uschamil@...
      LCA website: <http://lca.wisc.edu/>lca.wisc.edu