[ANN] Release 1.3.7 of Task Coach

  • Frank Niessink
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2012
      Hi,

      We're happy to announce release 1.3.7 of Task Coach. This is a bug fix
      release.

      Bugs fixed:
      - Paste as subitem didn't work for efforts. (SF#3479734)
      - Hiding inactive tasks would also hide some active tasks. (SF#3479952)
      - Setting the task font back to the default font in the preferences dialog
      wouldn't work.
      - Put a little bit of white space to the right of the priority column in the
      task viewer to separate the numbers from the scroll bar. (SF#3479686)
      - Disable the Anonymize menu item if there is no task file. (SF#3482373)
      - After removing an actual start date of a task with effort and saving and
      opening the task file, the task would still have an actual start date
      (based on the earliest effort). (SF#3478684, SF#3479444)
      - Marking an inactive task active wouldn't properly update the task icon from
      grey to blue. (SF#3479444)
      - Exporting to iCalendar wouldn't work if the subject or description had non-
      ASCII characters. (SF#3483124)

      Feature removed:
      - The more complex filtering options for hiding tasks have been removed. The
      complexity was causing bugs.

      What is Task Coach?

      Task Coach is a simple task manager that allows for hierarchical tasks,
      i.e. tasks in tasks. Task Coach is open source (GPLv3+) and is developed
      using Python and wxPython. You can download Task Coach from:

      http://taskcoach.org/

      In addition to the source distribution, packaged distributions are available
      for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and BSD.

      Note that although we consider Task Coach to be stable software,
      and we do our best to prevent bugs, it is always wise to back up your task
      file regularly, and especially when upgrading to a new release.

      Regards,

      Frank Niessink and Jerome Laheurte
      Task Coach development team
    • Kirk Lowery
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2012
        On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Frank Niessink <frank@...> wrote:

        Feature removed:
        - The more complex filtering options for hiding tasks have been removed. The
        complexity was causing bugs.

        I'm sorry to see this, although I can understand it. I was starting to depend on them.

        Kirk
        --
        $DO || ! $DO ; try
        try: command not found

      • Frank Niessink
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2012
          Hi Kirk,

          2012/2/4 Kirk Lowery <empirical.humanist@...>

          On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Frank Niessink <frank@...> wrote:

          Feature removed:
          - The more complex filtering options for hiding tasks have been removed. The
          complexity was causing bugs.

          I'm sorry to see this, although I can understand it. I was starting to depend on them.

          I hope to add them back in, but in a less complex way. I never liked the massive amount of menu items and the source code was rather complex too. One way to make it less complicated might be to add a status "just completed" where you could set how long a task is "just completed" in the preferences, similar to "due soon". Hiding completed tasks would then only hide completed tasks and not the "just completed" tasks. The same could be done for tasks that are "to be started soon". Tasks that have a planned start date in the near future are inactive, so if you hide inactive tasks you don't see them. If inactive tasks would become "to be started soon", they would become visible. Like for "due soon" and "just completed" you could set the duration of "to be started soon"-ness in the preferences. How does that sounds?

          Cheers, Frank
        • Kirk Lowery
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 5, 2012
            On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 8:44 PM, Frank Niessink <frank@...> wrote:

[...]

            Yes, that will work.

            I don't know what the implications are for coding complexity, but from a user's point of view, it would be ideal to have a general solution for filtering, similar to what you can do with, for example, Thunderbird's searching or message filtering: all features of a message are treated separately, and one can mix and match with OR and AND into a custom filter, rather than have the developer try to hardwire what he thinks most users will want. So, similar to creating my own custom task templates, the user could create his own set of custom filters...

            Kirk
            --
            $DO || ! $DO ; try
            try: command not found