[tarnobrzeg-gen] Re: Polish

  • GFSJan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 19, 1998
      Dear Violetta,

      I would love to have a copy of that map! Like Carol, I live in the south! If
      I asked anyone around here for anything Polish, I would get a bottle of stuff
      to make my shoes shine! It's awful, living in such a wasteland! I can
      sympathize fully with Carol. I don't know what part of the south she's in,
      but I'm in South Carolina, and they act like I have horns growing out of my
      head when I say I'm Polish. It's impossible to do research here too, no one
      at the Family History Center even knows how to find a ship manifest! They
      don't have a clue about how to find records from Poland! Not that it helps
      me, since Tarnobrzeg hasn't been filmed!

      Anyway, back to the map, I would love to have copies, but I surely don't want
      you to fax them! But you could snailmail them to me. My family came from
      Jeziorko village, Mielec, Grebow and Padew. The other side of my family came
      from Wolyn, which is further east. If Wolyn is on your map, I would love
      copies of that area as well. Please let me know how much it costs you to make
      copies and mail to the US and I will send you the money!

      Thanks

      Janet Birkner
    • Violetta Misiorek
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 19, 1998
        I had a couple of replies from people regarding the above subject and after
        reading them I have the following suggestion. Since we are all researching
        the same area in Poland and some of us feel a little isolated from other
        people of polish origin why not write to the list and ask for those living
        in the same area to get back to us. If we list the location only then we
        will still be able to protect our privacy (if we want). I am fortunate not
        to be isolated from other polish people but if there is someone from
        Victoria or even better Melbourne in Australia on the list I would love to
        hear from them.

        Violetta

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 19, 1998
          Hi,

          Don't despair! I was surprised to find out that one of the oldest Polish
          communities in the US was in Texas.I understand that a group of Poles came in
          the 1840's or thereabouts.

          My cousin in Arizona has his mother bring "care packages" of kielbasa on the
          airplane when she visits. Imagine that going through the metal detector!

          Lucia