Wolf, Waldman, and Monheit families from Tarnobrzeg

  • Reva Wolf
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 2002
      I am a new member of your group, and I would like to introduce myself. I have
      very recently started searching for information about the family of my father,
      who immigrated from Tarnobrzeg to the U.S. in 1938. His name was Abba
      (changed to Abraham here in the U.S.) Wolf. He immigrated with his sister
      Dorothy. His five other siblings, and his parents, stayed behind, and all but
      one of them, named Kunny, died under circumstances that remain unclear to us.
      My father's parents were Bayla and Harry(?). The family was extremely poor.
      According to my father, at one point in time the family name was changed to
      the maternal surname, Wolf, from the paternal Waldman, in order to avoid
      military conscription. The other scant details I know are that my father
      worked in apple orchards as a boy, that he had cousins by the name of Monheit
      (some of these cousins are now located in Portland, Oregon), and that he
      viewed his father as well-educated with a good knowledge of the German
      language. I do have some family photographs that were taken in Tarnobrzeg,
      should anyone be interested in seeing these. Any tidbits of information that
      anyone might have would be most appreciated.

      Many thanks,
      Reva Wolf