Re: [tarnobrzeg-gen] Re: bojanow/ofiara

  • jnieradka@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 29 9:34 AM
      I had written to the church in Spie once and received some information although not as much as I hoped. There was mention that some records were lost/destroyed during the wars and with the German and Russian occupations. SOme may have been moved to an archive ???

      John

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 29 2:29 PM
        On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:34:51 EDT jnieradka@... writes:

        > some records were lost/destroyed during the wars and with the German
        > and Russian occupations. SOme may have been moved to an archive ???

        I mentioned that issue recently here. Churches are obligated by law to
        transfer
        their documents which are 100 years old and older to regional state
        archives. So as of now documents from1901 still available at
        churches last year, now are available only in state archives.

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • moormanh@home.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 29 8:20 PM
          Dear Group,

          I don't know what the laws are regarding church records older than
          100 years in Poland, but I personally have been at the
          parish churches in Stany in 1998, and at Spie, and Nowy Nart in 1998,
          and have seen with my own eyes the old church record
          books dating back to the mid 1800's. I found out that most of this
          area was occupied by the Nazi's during World War II and
          subsequently destroyed by them and the residents were ordered to
          leave. This area was then set up as a "poligon" (their
          army training grounds) during the war. Most of the priests were able
          to spirit the church record books away and hide them
          until after the war, at which time they brought them out of hiding
          and returned to the sites where the villages used to be to
          rebuild their lives and their villages. I also was at the "urza~d'
          office in Bojanow and saw their civil record books (which
          are copies usually made for them by the village priests), but I don't
          know how far these records go back.

          Regards,
          Stella

          --- In tarnobrzeg-gen@y..., Marek Duszkiewicz <mar